Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS for my 'Internal' FTP Server

N/A

Hiya guys,

Sorry for mythering again.

Not sure if I was clear in my last post but this is the scenario:

I have setup an FTP Server on my 'local' network and have punched a hole into port 21 of my router to point to the 'local' IP of the server hosting the FTP. Ive tried connectivity to the FTP server from the internet and have no problems accessing it - I simply specifit my Static IP address. However I want to setup a record so that external users on the internet (friends etc) can log onto the FTP server on my network by using a more friendly name with the subdomain of 'ftp.domain.co.uk' - I have 'already' setup an A record with my static IP pointing to 'ftp.domain.co.uk' yesterday, but when I try to log on via an external client...It appears to be wanting to log onto my Plus.net ftp.....I want them to log onto 'my' FTP server that I have on my internal network....Can I setup a record that will point my static IP to a 'friendly' FTP name so that when users specify: 'ftp.domain.co.uk' they will log onto the FTP server on my 'local' network ?

Hope this makes sense and Im not going over the same thing

Really appreciate it guys

Many Thanks in advance and thanks for your swift replies thus far Smiley

Craig
10 REPLIES
N/A

How did you setup the a record [what did you put in the boxes].

Do you currently own a domain which is hosted on +net?
N/A

DNS for my FTP Server

This is how I set the record up

Left feild - ftp.arcadianz.co.uk
Type - A Record
Priority - left blank
Right field - My Static IP

should I just be putting 'ftp' in the left field as opposed to 'ftp.arcadianz.co.uk' ?

And I 'do' currently have a domain which is hosted on Plus Net: www.arcadianz.co.uk

You do understand that I want this to be assigned to the FTP server that I have setup on my LAN though Huh

Probably something and nothing ..If this cannot be achieved is there something else I can do to 'present' a different name for my FTP server to external users so that they dont have to access it via my static IP everytime ?

Thanks a lot for helping out mate

cheers

Craig
N/A

Yep, I do the same thing. In the Domain Names > Configure > Configure DNS this is how mine is setup [under the "Additional DNS records (Advanced)" heading]:

Left - ftp
Type - A Record
Priority - left blank
Right field - My Static IP

You don't need the domain on the end.

Then allow upto 24 hours for this to be added.

Note: In the "Domain hosting settings" near the top, "I wish to specify DNS records for mail to this domain" must be the chosen option, otherwise the server doesn't even look at the recorsd you setup below it.
N/A

In adition for the 24 hours to be added, it may take longer for other users on the internet to see it while it propergates the changes.
N/A

Oh and also, for some unknown reason, if I put in my external IP [212.*.*.*] from any machine within the network, the FTP won't work. I must use 192.168.0.3 [the internal IP] to connect.

I guess it's a known NAT-related issue, but just so y'know.
N/A

DNS for my FTP Server

Under 'Mail Settings' I currently have the option set to >>>
I wish mail to this domain to be delivered to my static IP by SMTP

This is because I have setup MX record for my mail domain....mail.arcadianz.co.uk as I have an exchange box running on my LAN

My Mail server is currently running just fine....are you 'certain' that I'll have to change 'Domain Hosting Settings' to : I wish to specify DNS records for hosts under this domain Huh If so what repurcussions will this have on my SMTP feed?

But I'll leave the current 'A' record in place and try again in 24hrs or more....cheers for the help guys

thanks

Craig
N/A

You should have two pretty much separate options for domains :

Mail settings controls...the mail Smiley
Set this to SMTP if you want to control your own mail [only choose this option if you know what you're doing]

The second section is Domain hosting settings. In order for you to make subdomains [ftp.domain.co.uk] you must have this set to Other.

However, if this was originally set to Default, you will need to manually configure a DNS record to point the domain to the hosting, mine has :

Left - www 
Type - cname 
Priority - left blank
Right field - criticalmass.plus.net. Note the trailling dot

This is because my site is located on the cgi server. For the main server, I'm not sure what you would put...sorry Smiley
N/A

DNS for my FTP Server

Oh yeah forgot to mention....

If I try pinging 'ftp.arcadianz.co.uk' this is what is displayed >>>

Pinging homepages.plus.net [212.159.9.131]

I assume that after the DNS records have updated this will change and resolve to 'MY' static IP Huh

thanks
N/A

You may be best to raise a ticket, they got this working for me - no probs !
Wayne
N/A

When I ping it now, it resolves to your IP, so I guess it's working now Smiley