cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS for my FTP Server

N/A

DNS for my FTP Server

I have setup an FTP Server on my home LAN - I have setup correct Port forwarding in my router to the internal IP of the server hosting the FTP and I can access the Server externally from the Internet with no problems. now in order to allow cients to connect I have to provide them with my Static IP. This is ok but it would be better and easier for users to remember a DNS name e.g. 'ftp.mydomain.co.uk'. Whats the best way of achieving this that doesn't require users to specify my Public IP when connecting ? Is this sometging that I can configure via the 'DNS config' via my portal here on Plus Net's site ?

Hope Iv'e explained things clearly ?

Obviously I cant configure this on my local Win2k DNS box as this is not visible to the internet....!!

Thanks a lot guys

Craig
3 REPLIES
N/A

DNS for my FTP Server

+Net don't just provide you with a static IP, but also with rDNS set on it to.

This means, that you can obtain a hostname from your IP and an IP from the hostname.

In the case of all +Net customers, this hostname is in the format <username>.plus.com, or in your case, ballistik.plus.com

However, if you have a domain on your account, you can point a sub-domain to your IP with an A record.

The host allready provided is the simplest though.
Community Veteran

DNS for my FTP Server

Is this sometging that I can configure via the 'DNS config' via my portal here on Plus Net's site ?

Yes this is.
Simply create an A record as follows

Left feild - ftp
Type - A Record
Priority - leave blank
Right Feild - your ip address

Wait a max of 24 hours for it to take effect (it might work in about 4 hours though).

Chris
N/A

Cheers for the info

EXCELLENT

Thankyou VERY much indeed for your swift replies

cheers Guys Smiley