cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Servers @ Plusnet

craigbrass
Grafter

DNS Servers @ Plusnet

Being a webmaster of a few sites now I feel I should make this post to complain about how slow Plusnet are in updating there DNS servers. One time when I was moving hosts it took plusnet 5 days to update there DNS servers and find this appaling. I think they should be updated at midnight every night without fail and unless this or somthing like it is done, I will be leaving plusnet for a more reliable ISP.

Yours,
Craig Brass
6 REPLIES
N/A

DNS Servers @ Plusnet

I beleive the core server reload once every 4 hours.

However, down to the way the internet works, it can be upto 24 hours before timeouts come into operation.

What sort of changes took 5 days?

I have made a few tests in the past and they all seem to have been viewable outside of the PlusNet network within 12 hours, with one taking upto 24.
craigbrass
Grafter

DNS Servers @ Plusnet

Well a month back I changed the name servers of the domain name trfans.com on the Friday, it took til the next Wednesday until the domain became active on the new host when all the other connections I tryed it on were working by midday on Saturday.
Community Veteran

DNS Servers @ Plusnet

DNS queries are cached in many different places around the internet to speed up resolving IP addreses for domain names. Even if PlusNet (or any other ISP or DNS hosting company) make the change immediately, the nature of the internet means it can take several days before all the various DNS caches around the world are refreshed with the new IP address or other DNS related changes.

It always takes time for DNS changes to propogate around the internet and it is such a vast place now that 5 days would not surprise me or be unexpected befoe the web site is accessable from all locations.

I have also found that the more frequently a web site is accessed, the quicker the various DNS caches are updated so an infrequently accessed site may take much longer to be recognised at the new IP address than one that gets hundreds/thousands of hits a day.

I should also point out this delay is outside PlusNets control and relies on the propogation methods used the various main DNS servers and DNS cacheing systems..
N/A

DNS Servers @ Plusnet

According to a whois request, the last set of changes made to the domain where on the 28th November 2003.

That is a Friday, which sugests PlusNet performed it on time to your request, thus ruling out issues by them.

You can see that on THIS page
craigbrass
Grafter

DNS Servers @ Plusnet

The first time I was able to view the site on that domain was the wednesday of the next week.
N/A

DNS Servers @ Plusnet

This could only be down to the new provider then.

When PlusNet move the details out, they remove the information from there DNS servers.

Re-looking at your first claim dis-prooves any fault of PlusNet at all.

Once PlusNet move it away from there network, it is upto your new provide to answer DNS queries. If these are failing, this is in no way down to PlusNet, btu the new provider.

PlusNet made the changes on the date they where requested after which no blame can be pinned on them, unless they made changes that didn't match what was needed.

As no further changes where made after the request date, it shows that PlusNet performed this job flawlessly.

Can I ask where you think the problem is here?