cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Probs Possibly. Help !!

Community Veteran

Are these PlusNet hosted sites or external to PlusNet?

What DNS servers are you talking about - IP addresses?
14 REPLIES
N/A

I'm finding that there are a few sites that I used to be able to access with no problem are now unaccessible. If I use the auto DNS, I get an instant " cannot find server or DNS error". I changed the DNS from auto to the dial up DNS ( I assume that this is the one used for 56K dialup and not ADSL ) and the sites I couldn't get to were accessed, but some that work on the auto assign DNS became "cannot find server or DNS error" I'm a little puzzled, as people I know on other ISP's can access the same sites with no problems..Any ideas anyone ?

Regards, John Taylor.
N/A

All are non plus net hosted.

Regards, John Taylor.
N/A

One thing you might like to try is flushing your DNS records, which deletes all cached DNS records (incase the computer stored any bad records). As you have not stated which OS you are using, I will assume you're on XP. If not, just ask and I can provide you with instructions for your OS.

To flush your DNS do the following:
[list=1]
  • Click "Start" button
  • Click "Run"
  • Type "cmd" into the small window which appears, and press OK.
  • In the new (black) window which appears type the following: ipconfig /flushdns. You will receive a confirmation that the flush was successful.[/listShocked]

Give this a try and see if anything changes. Thanks.
  • N/A

Flushed it that many times that the people next door thought I had a stomach disorder. Thanks for the suggestion. I am on XP Pro and 512 ADSL. I've tried it with firewall on/off, no change. Is there another DNS I can try apart from the 56K dial up ? Modem is a Samsung AHT-E310 USB, but I have had no problems at all with that. I'm using IE 6 with service pack 1 installed. Net Bios is off, but it's the same with it on. Wierd one.
    Regards, John Taylor.
    N/A

It could be that the DNS servers you are being auto-assigned to are incorrect. Earlier I was auto assigned to some BT ones, so manual setting may be better. The ADSL ones are 212.159.13.49 and 212.159.13.50. Give those a try.

This may sound stupid, but have you tried rebooting the PC and connection equipment? This can fix a good deal of problems.
    N/A

Samsung modem is a good one. That's what I had first.
    Change to DNS servers as suggested by Eurotrain but don't forget to turn off afterwards and wait 10 mins or so before restarting so as to be assign a new VP. This may cure the problem.
    N/A

Thanks for the suggestions, Already tried the DNS you mentioned but no joy. Aren't these the plusnet auto assigned servers ? By the way, what's a VP ? I tried leaving the modem disconnected from the phone line for45 mins but that didn't help. Rebooted umpteen times, no joy. I sometimes connect to the sites I want, but that's about once in 50 attempts. I know the site is up a the times I'm trying as people I know are browsing them at the same times.
    Regards, John Taylor.
    N/A

Do you know anyone else who has connection equipment which you could borrow? If you can, it'd help isolate the problem a little better.

I forgot to ask earlier: In a command prompt if you type: ping notworking.com (replacing notworking.com with the address of one of the sites you can't access) what happens?

Thanks.
    N/A

Now, here's one to get you thinking. I was playing around with pings and the command prompt, and I ended up copying the internet shortcut for the worst offender of the hard to access sites from the favourites folder to my desktop. When I try to access the site from my desktop it opens almost every time. try to access it from the favourites in IE 6 and it fails nearly every time. Dumped the shortcut in Favourites, and copied the one from the desktop. Didn't work. Thought "Hmmm, I'll type the url into the address bar direct, that should do it". Wrong again. Works with a shortcut from the dektop, won't work from anywhere in IE6. I have fomatted and reinstalled XP twice in the last few weeks due to a hardware failure that is now cured. I'm going to borrow a different copy of XP and see if that is the problem, i.e. my CD has become corrupt. If that doesn't work does anybody know a good psychiatrist ?
    Regards, John Taylor.
    N/A

I doubt if it your copy of XP corrupted. To be specifically corrupted on IE shortcuts is like winning the lottery, X million to one.
    VP = virtual path = a different route through the network from your exchange to plusnet.

Why the shortcuts should work from the desktop and not with IE, I have no idea and sounds very strange.
    Maybe put a question out on the newsgroups to attarct a wider audience, at:
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
    or
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    N/A

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll post something on the boards you suggest and see what happens. The reason I think my copy of XP may be corrupt is due to the fact that my grandson played with it and it's now full of scratches, some quite bad. It can't hurt to try it and a full clean install only takes about 15 -20 mins, so it's not too inconvenient.
    Regards, John Taylor.
    N/A

Re-installed XP from another disc and everything now works OK. My own copy must be cream crackered. Must get higher shelves and explain to my grandson (5 years old, may reach 6) that CD discs are not Frizzbees. Thanks to all for the help and suggestions.
    Regards, John Taylor.
    N/A

There not? Oh well!

Anyhow, there is little chance that needed files are corrupted. The system by which windows authenticates files would either warn you, or tell you it has failed to restore a backup copy because it is corrupted too.

Although not the best of questions. Was the disk legitimate?
    N/A

Of course it was legitimate "cough, cough". As if anyone would try to do Biil Gates out of a few quid, poor chap. Anyhow, the fresh install fixed all the problems, so my original disk is in the bin, and my "backup" copy is in the safe.
    Regards, John Taylor.