cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Problems

N/A

DNS Problems

Hi

im having big problems trying to visit http://pa.drofdar.co.ukwhich is my own website based in the uk.
Whenever I access it I get dns errors and I have been trying for over a week.

It seems that other people inside and outside the UK can access it and i know the box is online.

I have tried to access it on different computers on my network, cleared all history and flushed the dns on the computer. I still cant access it.

Any Ideas?

thx

[Moderator note (by acarr) : Fixed URL link for you]
12 REPLIES
painswck
Grafter

DNS Problems

Hi,

Seems to be something wrong on your site. I accessed it using Mozilla. The pages load ok but when loaded comes up with a URL error. Is each page trying to access another web page?

Cheers
Roland
N/A

DNS Problems

Which DNS servers are you using?
N/A

DNS Problems

Hi,

Seems to be something wrong on your site. I accessed it using Mozilla. The pages load ok but when loaded comes up with a URL error. Is each page trying to access another web page?

Cheers
Roland

yeah thats a issue that firebird mozilla is having with my meta tags. It will be resolved once i cant actually access the site to fix it.

obviously that proves you can access it.
N/A

DNS Problems

Which DNS servers are you using?

At the moment im using 212.159.13.49. I use which ever one my router picks up when it connects. I have tried the secondary server and its the same.

However an hour ago I could access the site but i cant now, this is really weird. Maybe its not my DNS, I will try a few other things.

Thx
N/A

DNS Problems

I can access the site at the moment using IE on a BT Openworld connection.

As I do not have direct access to a PlusNet connection at this time, I am using the monitor tools available HERE.

Using them, I can dig up the DNS records. I can also ping the host, though times are little high at 113ms, compared to google.co.uk which returns 48ms.

A trace shows it pretty much takes a random route around the net, and it doesn't leave the UK for the US part of the connection until hop 10.
N/A

DNS Problems

ok I forgot to mention that www.drofdar.co.uk will direct to a different server, but the command todo the redirect is still on the UK server which I cant access.
However if your being redirected then you must be able to access it.

http://pa.drofdar.co.uk should take you onto the UK server and not redirect you.

Yeah the traceroute to the USA server is a bit odd, it seems to take its time to get out of the UK but theres not a lot I can do about that. It used to be no more than 12 hops to it, but it suddenly increased I have no idea why.

Thanks for your help.
mssystems
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

DNS Problems

There are a couple things you can do to check whether it is a DNS issue.

Generally the error messages from the command prompt are more descriptive. On Win2K etc Open a command prompt

ping www.drofdar.co.uk
Is the name resolved to an ip?

type nslookup [cr]
type drofdar.co.uk [cr]
to exit nslokup use [ctrl+c]
Do you get any errors?

To work around DNS try this

Set your primary DNS server to 69.72.128.252
or
Find your hosts file and add the following line to the top
69.72.128.250 www.drofdar.co.uk

HTH
Regards
Matt
www.mssystems.co.uk
N/A

DNS Problems

ok when I ping www.drofdar.co.uk i get

Ping request could not find host www.drofdar.co.uk. Please check the name and try again.

However the ip seems to work, where I find it through nslookup. Where do I find the host file to add the IP?

Thanks
mssystems
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

DNS Problems

the location of the hosts file can vary according to OS. For NT, 2K and XP it is in System32\drivers\etc

Note it has no extension so be careful editing with notepad which may add a default .txt extention.

Before resorting to the hosts file try overriding your DHCP DNS setting. Add the DNS server I listed as the primary. It may resolve it. Remember that any information you enter in TCP/IP properties override values retrieved by DHCP. If you specify just a DNS server all other DHCP settings are used except the DNS which you have specified.

Regards
Matt
www.mssystems.co.uk
N/A

DNS Problems

thanks very Cheesy much I setup the tcp/ip DNS servers and it seems to be working much better now, hopefully it will stay that way
N/A

DNS Problems

I just tried it in ie 6 and opera and got http://main.drofdar.me.uk/ which gave me a blank page
N/A

DNS Problems

Can access no problems, both IE6 and Moz. firebird.
Firebird brings up a not valid url message so this needs
to be addressed, otherwise site functions properly.