cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Problem??

N/A

DNS Problem??

The other day all of a sudden (no honestly it was!) I can't access the web at all. Nothing changed on my router, nothing changed on my account (at least not that I know of) but I just can't see any sites by their name. I rang my dad who is on dial-up who tried some pings to websites to resolve the names to IP addresses, I then tried to ping these addresses - most of hem I could ping successfully. I disregarded the few I couldn't as majority were successful. Yet still when I ping the names of sites it doesn't work. I work in IT myself and reckon this usually would point to a DNS problem but I'm not willing to take the risk of paying Plusnet Sad (Booo!) a flippin admin charge!

Anyone any ideas? I really need this for work development :?
5 REPLIES
N/A

DNS Problem??

If you have a problem with your connection and wish to raise it as an issue with Support, you will not be charged an admin fee.

Raise a ticket or ring the support line 0845 1400200. They will be happy to help. Free of charge.
chymorva
Grafter

Re: DNS Problem??

The other day all of a sudden (no honestly it was!) <snip>

I don't doubt you for a minute. Things do suddenly happen.

A possible scenario is this: Router disconnected (either line dropped due to BT doing something at your exchange or session dropped due to PN - see recent service announcements) and then re-connected. When reconnected it may not be set to auto-discover DNS servers, hence your problems.

What are your DNS settings ?
N/A

DNS Problem??

It could be a stale session. If so switching off router and letting it sit for @ 30 mins before reconnecting may be the cure. A quick call to support will identify if this is the case.
N/A

DNS Problem??

Thanks for all your replies. The router does pick up an auto-discovered DNS 139. address I can't remember the rest but I will check it later.

I already tried disconnecting the router and left it off overnight but no change. All other functions of the router work fine - i.e. dhcp, wifi.

Maybe I'll log a call with Plusnet anyway and see what they say.

Cheers.
chymorva
Grafter

DNS Problem??

PN DNS servers are: