cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DG834gt and Microsoft SBS

N/A

I've set up a small business server at home so that I can test before installing in office. However, I cannot get remote access to it to work. Any help would be appreciated.

My router at home is Netgear DG834GT.

I have a static IP address which I have setup within the router to forward to the internal IP address of the SBS (192.168.0.100) but still not success.

It works within my home network but not from outside of this.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Andy
6 REPLIES
N/A

Hi Andy,

Are you using SBS 2003? If so are your running SP1?
N/A

Hi,

Yes running 2003 SP1

Andy
N/A

Hi,

Sorry for the 20 questions. Many people downloaded and installed Windows Server 2003 SP1 as opposed to SBS SP1. This caused The remote connection manager to fail to work properly.

When you run the remote connection wizard do you get any error messages?

From within services are all the necessary services started?

Can you ping the internal IP address of the SBS from a remote machine
while connected? If that doesn't work, nothing else will.
N/A

Mark,

I've installed SP1 for both SBS and Server 2003, would this cause problems?

I've just pinged from my computer and it reaches my external IP address but on a friends machine external to me network it says unreachable!

Is this a problem with the setup of my router?

Sorry to be a pain.

Cheers
Andy
N/A

Hi Andy,

Have a read at this article which should help.

I would suggest running the Remote Access wizard again on the server. Please note that in accordance with MS recommendations, the article deals with a dual NIC setup which is best for security amongst other reasons.

When you read the article, have a look at their forums, every glitch or problem you might come accross is covered.

Let me know how you get on.

Good luck
N/A

What remote acces are you trying to use? If you are trying to use Terminal Server so you can admin it remotley you need to forward TCP port 3389 to the server.

What ever other service you are using you will need to forward the ports for that service or it wont work. As it works localy it shows the server is setup ok and the problem is with the ports on the router.

A quick way to do it is to down tcip view from http://www.sysinternals.com/NetworkingUtilities.html

run this on the client and connect to the server for all the services you want if you then look at the tcipview you will see the ports that are connected and you then need to forward these on the router to the servers ip