cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DG834G Wireless problems.

PLC
Grafter

Following on from the earlier thread I still can't get my laptop to communicate with the router. I have set my desktop machine as address 192.168.1.2 and the router to 192.168.0.1 (The default) and this works perfectly except I cannot get the laptop to see the router or vice versa. Obviously I am doing something silly bu cannot for the life of me see what. I did a clean install of Windows XP Pro on my laptop and then installed the Netgear WG511 card and set the address to 192.168.0.3. The green wireless icon appears in the system tray and the bubble says I am connected. The wireless staus shows packets going to the router but none returning. Signal strength is 100%. I cannot ping the router from the laptop. The subnet mask is set to 255.255.255.0 and the default gateway to 192.168.0.1. I have set the router up to only recognise the MAC address of the wireless card and enabled WEP encryption with the correct keys . Just what else could be wrong? TIA
8 REPLIES
N/A

I'm running the same setup with a laptop/wg511 firstly make sure that has the latest drivers V210

You shouldnt need to setup each computer with the ip settings as the router has dhcp and should autoassign these.

As far as wireless security goes it may be a good idea to start the connection off clean, and see if you can get pings and a connection going then add security, this will allow you to diagnose the particular problem.

Also if you have disabled transmit of ssid make sure you have put the ssid in the laptops computer. and then save the configuration.
N/A

In my experience albeit with Belkin kit, if dhcp on your laptop fails to get itself an IP address then things aren't ever going to work properly.

As a non expert in these matters I'd say your laptop's IP should be in the range 192.168.0.xxx same as your router.
PLC
Grafter

I have checked the latest driver installed and disabled all encryption then rebooted the router and both PCs. No difference whatsover. What to try next please?
PLC
Grafter

Cracked it!

I started going through all the settings and found that the Netgear WG511 defaults to USA frequency settings despite the machine being set up as UK. *)$£&^ING Netgear!!!!!!
N/A

Did that fix your problem, i just looked at my lappy and saw it was setup as usa too, i suppose it depends what channel you setup your router to use.
PLC
Grafter

Yes it did. Now I am downloading the updates from Microsoft to the laptop as I type on the desktop. Can't wait fo summer when I can sit outside and use it. If you are set to USA settings it should be changed because they are not legal in the Europe.
N/A

I will do, i didnt think it mattered unless i was going to be using it in adhoc mode as a transmit station, it picked up the router in europe mode and tuned into that and worked fine, i would guess as the frequencies overlap it depends what channels you use.
PLC
Grafter

Thanks for your comments and good luck.