cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DG834G + Random reboots

N/A

DG834G + Random reboots

I have an odd problem with my trusty netgear DG834G router. I have recently upgraded from 512k to 1Mb to find the router will consistently reboot itself every few hours or so. It has only started doing this since the line upgrade. 512k was rock solid. I have tried everything I can think off, checked wiring is top notch, played around with the positioning. The only thing I havent got round to doing yet is reloading the firmware (v 1.0.5) Something else I will try tomorrow is leave the router powered but unplugged from the line and see if the ADSL is causing it to reboot. My initial thought is the line is probably too long/noisy for 1Mb and all the errors are causing it to reboot like this (maybe??) so I'll probably end up downgradin it to 1/2Mb

Not just yet though :lol:
38 REPLIES
keithcalder
Grafter

DG834G + Random reboots

I have the same router as you and have had a few random disconnects, but dont really notice as it auto reconnects again.

If you use firmware rev 1.05 its gives some details of line loss. Just got this from the router:
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1152 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 49 db 25.5 db
Noise Margin 24 db 27 db

Not the best of figures, but I dont think this is the cause of my random disconnects and think you may have another probem, thats without having any idea what figures your router are giving.
N/A

DG834G + Random reboots

Yup, the router has no problem reconnecting after reboot, it wouldnt otherwise be noticeable if MSN or central station wasnt being used. I am probably going to try downgrading back to 512 and see if that cures the problem. I would say the link is quite stable despite bad line statistics, so maybe the modem has become duff (wouldn't be the first time). My stats can be found here

And yes... those figures are probably pushing the laws of physics!
N/A

DG834G + Random reboots

Hi

Could this
be the possible cause of your problem?

The thread has been running for a few months now and still hasn't been resolved.
N/A

DG834G + Random reboots

Hey... thanks theattic - a most interesting thread. Who'd have thought about heat problems :!:
N/A

DG834G + Random reboots

I have the non-wireless version and it never gets that hot. I used to have a DG814 and that used to get really warm but never lost it's connection. :!:

I'm wondering whether the upgrade has pushed your line over it's limit. I suffered for a short while after my upgrade disconnection problems as a result of the upgrade. However BT recently did some work on the local lines and there hasn't been a problem since.

Aaron
JEB
Grafter

DG834G + Random reboots

Hi,

I've had exactly the same problem with my DG834 and my 1 Mbit line. I managed to fix the reboots by downgrading to firmware 1.0.4.01.

If you read the firmware release notes you will see that the ADSL connection code was rolled back in firmware 1.0.5 due to syncronization issues some users were having. As such the ADSL code in the earlier firmware is actually newer.

The only real thing of use 1.0.5 added was stats anyway and so there is no problem running with an earlier firmware. I think the problem with the earlier ADSL code is that it can't handle lines that aren't perfect, although still perfectly okay for running ADSL over.

James
N/A

DG834G + Random reboots

Had the same problem, ended up sending mine back for a new one.

But thinking about it, it could be the firmware thats the problem, my old one had v1.05 and the new one is using v1.04.01 and no problems now.

I too experienced this when moving from 512 to 1 meg.
N/A

DG834G + Random reboots

Just for feedback, I tried as you suggested and downgraded to v1.04.04 (as opposed to the "official" 1.04.01 firmware). The thing has been up for 40+hours so far. Not really that impressive yet but it is getting there Smiley

Thank you so much for the help/info/links Smiley
N/A

DG834G + Random reboots

I've also got a DS834 which drops connections and reboots every few hours.

The router came with 1.04.04 firrmware which I upgraded to 1.05 about a week later. I only started noticing the reboots after the upgrade so its possible its firmware version related.

Running a 2Mb line.

I've boxed upt he router ready to return it so can't past any line figures. I've not tried downgrading the firmware yet but may do this.

I've got 1.04.01 firmware (from Netgear site), but does anyone know where the 1.04.04 firmware is?

Thanks

~Andy
N/A

DG834G + Random reboots

I've got 1.04.01 firmware (from Netgear site), but does anyone know where the 1.04.04 firmware is?

You can get that from here
N/A

DG834G + Random reboots

Many thanks for the firmware link. I'll unbox the router and try downgrading over the next few days.

I'll report back when done.

Cheers,

~Andy
N/A

DG834G + Random reboots

I'll unbox the router and try downgrading over the next few days.

You're making me feel all guilty now :lol:
N/A

DG834G + Random reboots

No need - I was looking for a reason to try to keep it Wink Hard as I try I really don't want to hate this router ...

Anyway , I unpacked, reflashed and am running it now. I've give it another 24hours and see whats what.

Oh - I must remember to close those 4 ports it kindly leaves open for me Wink And not get too frustrated that it doesn't let me write proper firewall rules even though IPTables supports them ....

Cheers,

~A
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

DG834G + Random reboots

Just to throw in some confusion on the firmware downgrade theory...

I'm using a DG834 firmware version 1.05.00 on a 1MB connection.

Current uptime: 445:34:58

I am just a stone throw from the exchange so it may just be that my line quality is good:
ADSL Link          Downstream    Upstream

Connection Speed 1152 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 22 db 13 db
Noise Margin 31 db 31 db
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)