cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DG834 setup

PLC
Grafter

DG834 setup

In anticipation of my line being activated in the next week or so I am trying to set up my DG834G router. As a complete novice my attempts are failing because I don't seem to be able to get the network card settings to correspond with the router. given the router has an address of 192.168.0.1 what do I need to set the network card up as? Should I alter the router's default and if so to what? I have a single PC and a single laptop that I wish to use or ayt least have the choice of using. Any specific settings would be most welcome. Thank you.
53 REPLIES
N/A

DG834 setup

IP and DNS for the network card should all be set to automatic.
The router should be left at the default as a DHCP server, which is in the LAN IP setup section of the Advanced section on the routers web interface.

You may have to use a cable connection to get the initial system running and look at the wireless side after.
Mine is the non wireless version, so I can't help you on the wireless side.

When you have it all working, update the firmware to 1.03, but do be sure to follow the instructions to the letter and only when you have a stable system.
PLC
Grafter

Thanks for that. However, this does not work! Looking at the settings for the Solwise router one is specifically told to set the network card address to 192.168.7.2 with a subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and the default gateway to 192.168.7.1 In this case the router has a default address of 192.168.7.1.
N/A

DG834 setup

You can ignore any instructions for the Solwise router, that is a different make and will have different ranges .
The default IP address of the Solwise router is 192.168.7.1, as you say.
The default for the DG834 is 192.168.0.1, so the network cards will be assigned 192.168.0.2 and up by the router (providing they are set to obtain IP address automatic and the router is set as DHCP server as previously mentioned).
If you manually use IP addresses for the cards in the region 192.168.7.x with the DG834 in default IP of 192.168.0.1, they will never communicate as the cards will be outside the IP range for the router. (It is the last digit that is the IP range for the router.)
Reset the router to factory default and set up the network cards as I suggested earlier (everything at automatic).
You can of course manually set the IP of the cards to 192.168.0.2 (incremental last digit) and subnet to 255.255.255.0, although it is not recommended.

Really, these thing are a piece of cake to set up using the wizard from the factory defaults. Just make sure you have the TCPIP settings for the network cards set to automatic, connect up and turn on.
You MUST do the initial set up with an Ethernet hardwired connection.

I assume you have either orange(10mbps) or green(100Mbps) LAN lights showing on the router ( the numbers )Huh
PLC
Grafter

Thank you.

All noted and understood. I had assumed the 192.168.7.1 wasa requirement of PLUS. Thanks for your assistance.
N/A

Re: Thank you.

Hi Pete

I have the same router as yourself and it seems the same set up, one desk machine and one laptop. The laptop is a Dell inspiron 8600.

Would you let me know the range that your laptop can access the router in your house please?

I can get an excellent signal when I'm in the attic next to the router, a very good one on the ground floor but none when I use it in the small garden room attached to the house at the rear. I understood that the range would/should be about 1000 feet. It does have to pass through a nine inch wall and a few floors but I wasn't expecting that much of loss in signal strength.
PLC
Grafter

Hi John. To be honest I have not tried it other than on the desktop yet. I am, as you will have gathered, struggling because I have no knowledge of TCP/IP addressing and all the books I have looked at seem to be complete overkill for my simple needs. If i have some success I will let you know because then I shall want to try myself. From my experience of RF you may well be better off siting the router lower down. The radiation patter of the antenna is probably more up than down
N/A

Re: Reply

Pete, I did jump the gun a little didn't I? I just assumed that you had connected.

I had anticipated a long and arduous task setting up the TCP/IP configuration. It wasn't until I let the wizard do the job that it all fell into place. cqg4uzg instructions hits the nail on the head. I think I was expecting such a complicated job that it being so simple didn't occur to me!

Thanks for the tip on placing the modem down stairs, I have tried turning the antenna downwards and that did help a little.

I hope you get yours working ok.
N/A

DG834 setup

The DG824 can access 253 other machines on the same network using IP 192.168.0.2 incrementing up to 192.168.0 254 (.0.1 is reserved for the router itself.) Of course, with only 4 ports and a home setup, I don't think your going to be using 253 machines!!!
Anyhow to the wireless problem, RF attenuation is less through brick and concrete than metal. The higher the frequency in use, the greater the attenuation. With 2.4Ghz, a nine inch thick brick wall will provide very high attenuation. If there is metal, household wiring etc, the attenuation will be even higher. The suggestion would be to have the router on the second floor, whic will be midway between the PC's, (fairly easier to run a phone extension up/down one flight) and have the antenna on all units in the same plane, that is to say polarisation. (ie upright)

If you upgrade the firmware to 1.03, make sure you do it by ethernet cable and NOT wireless. Also, follow the instructions to the letter. The latest firmware solves some issues with FTP.
N/A

DG834 setup

Re: theattic,
The loft is an ideal location, you can sit at the
bottom of the garden in the Summer and probably
lot further, I'm suprised your having problems even
with the number of floors, so perhaps a mid point
location as suggested or another WAP is the answer.
I would definitely changed the antenna wherever the
location, it provides a big boost to performance.
Have a look at a 5dB or 7.8dB omni-directional from
Solwise
You could even fit one on your main pc aswell, if it's wireless.
With reference to the laptop , you will get the best performance
with the Netgear 54G pmcia card rather than the internal centrino
mini pc card fitted to Dell laptops ( unless its one of the newer
'g' non centrino types ).
Re : petercrosland,
As your not online yet I'm assuming the problem is that you
cannot access your 2 pc's on your network.
Have you managed to get to the routers set up page from
one or both pc's and set up everything there ?
Also have you enabled file and printer sharing on both pc's
and have some shared files.
In control panel - Internet options - Connections,
ensure the box never dial a connection is ticked.
In LAN settings tick box auto detect settings.
If you run the command on your pc : ipcofig/all
(start - run - type : command - enter, then : ipconfig/all
in the DOS command box and enter)
This will bring up your network cards settings.
Your pc should have an address of 192.168.0.2 (or onwards)
the default gateway is the address of the router 192.168.0.1
If it's not then enter the command ipconfig/release followed by
ipconfig/renew and check again.
Manual configuration sometimes helps with these all in one
units as it gives the router a bit less work to do and aids stability
on the wireless network, but you should be able to connect as
described by previous poster's, using auto config.
If your going to try a manual set up you need to disable the DHCP
server on the router and enter the IP's as above, a different IP
for the second pc, eg.192.168.0.3 , the same default gateway and
subnet mask throughout. Also Plusnets DNS servers as 212.159.13.49 & 212.159.13.50 .
If you still have problems then perhaps paste your ipconfig/all results.
Alec
PLC
Grafter

Thanks

Thanks to you all. I now have it working and await the activation in a week or so. Then I shall try and get the wireless part working.
N/A

DG834 setup

(fairly easier to run a phone extension up/down one flight) .

I was hoping to avoid this. If needs be I'll have to do it though and I would need a good length of cat 5 cable also wouldn't I?
N/A

DG834 setup

Re: theattic,
The loft is an ideal location, you can sit at the
bottom of the garden in the Summer

This was/is the general idea.

I'm suprised your having problems even
with the number of floors.

I know! I was expecting a futher range than that!

I would definitely changed the antenna wherever the location,
it provides a big boost to performance.

Any adivce on the type of plug needed for the correct connection would be much appricated.

Many thanks for the info regarding the more powerful receiver card that can be fitted to my laptop. I'll go and explore what's on offer and where/how it fits.

Thank you for all your help Aleca, it's much appreciated.
N/A

DG834 setup

I'm 90% sure it's a reverse SMA plug (ReSMA) if it's
similar to the older DG824M or most of the stuff on sale.
If you have a look at the first 5dB antenna on the Solwise
list, there is a small picture of a ReSMA plug and if you
unscrew your antenna it should look the same.
The 7.8db has one fitted as standard but Solwise will
basically make one up or supply you with a correct adapter
if it isn't.Solwise are nice people to deal with, they would
exchange a product if it didn't do the job.
The Netgear WG511 is the card I'm thinking about,
it slots into the side of your pc, the disadvantage is
a small extension left showing.
Dell supply three types of mini PCI cards, 'b', ('b + g') & ( 'a, b + g').
If it's the first you have, then it's worth changing it to the Netgear.
If it's one of the other two, then make sure you run both router
and pc card in 'g' mode only (not mixed mode). This applies to the
Netgear card too.
Alec
N/A

DG834 setup

Increasing the gain of an antenna does not actually increase the power it outputs or receives. What it actaully does is concentrate the energy into more of a beam.
So, having a higher gain antenna that is vertical will give you more range with units on the same floor of the house, but lower range with units above or below.
You can angle the antenna at 90degrees (do not point the antenna in the direction) to where you want the maximum signal to go but other units will then get a lower signal.
The two pdf's below show the radiation pattern of a 5.5db and 12db antenna, what is seen is the energy levels when viewing the antenna from the side
http://www.wavewireless.com/products/product/antennasaccessories/A24-55V-D.pdf
http://www.wavewireless.com/products/product/antennasaccessories/A24-110V-D.pdf
Hope it's understandable.