cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DG834 Firewall Settings - FTP Woes??

N/A

For some reason my FTP is really playing up recently. I know it's not the servers as I have several hosting companies for a variety of sites I have.

I also know it's not PC based as I have 3 or 4 PC's all wirelessly connected to the DG834 which have the same FTP probs.

I know it's not my ISP as when in the USA recently I did an update and FTP'd without a problem using a local ISP.

I know it's my router causing problems as when I disconnect it and use an old USB modem there is no problem.

Basically it probably loads 30-40 files up and then starts hanging saying "waiting for server" or whatever - it then sometimes reconnects and starts again or just fails. It's a nightmare

so, looking around various forums it seems it might be the firewall on the router stopping incoming messages from the server or maybe outgoing message etc. etc. or maybe (looking at the log) "TCP Packet - Source MY.ISP.IP.ADDRESS Desimation MY.PC.IP.ADDRESS - [PORT SCAN]"
Don't know what this means!!!

Arghh

Looking at the firewall settings I thought about letting all inbound services through just for a test! But it asks for a LAN Server IP address - giving it my PC static IP address - said it was illegal.

So, reading through forums it seems I might need to "open ports" or set firewall to allo outbound and inbound FPT something or other?

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Set the routers MTU to 1500 and try again. You don't need to open or port-forward any ports for FTP out to work.

You can just ignore the [PORT SCAN] or [DOS] entries, it's just normal internet noise and you firewall is doing it's job of stopping them getting to your PC.

You only need to do port forwarding if you want people on the internet to access an FTP server within your local network.
michaelscott
Grafter

I had the same problem when I first got my DG834. The advice I read was make sure the MTU of your PC is the same or lower than that of the router.
Community Veteran

Also try the latest 2.10.22 firmware update here.

And your PC's MTU should always match your routers for the best performance. - it stops packet fragmentation occuring in either direction.
Stef
Grafter

We had a similar FTP problem which just suddenly started happening on a DG834G. A firmware upgrade fixed it!

Regards, Stef
Community Veteran

Also make sure you download the recovery utility BEFORE you upgrade the firmware in case the upgrade fails, which usually means the router is non-operational.