cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DG834 Connection Issue

N/A

DG834 Connection Issue

Hello

I am running a DG834G Netgear router with firmware version 2.10.17. I have a 1MB link.

This firmware (and 2.10.09) had been running fine until recently. I have noticed a few times that my internet connection fails (or rather my browser can no longer connect to the internet). I say that because when I go on the netgear admin page (192.168.0.1) it claims that the internet is connected and has been for xxx number of hours (sometimes 100's etc...) The internal LAN is fine. Attached devices are fine.

Yet I get "page cannot be displayed" from the browser window on all of my PC's. I try a DNS lookup from the router and it fails, I try a ping (to external address) from the router and it also fails. I appear to have no external connectivity whatsoever, despite the router telling me I am connected.

I then try rebooting the router, no success, I have even tried re-applying the firmware, no success. I reboot the PC's, no success. Then, I say B*****ks to it and leave the damn thing alone. I come back maybe 5 minutes later and what do you know, I can get on the internet!!!

Very frustrating, totally sporadic and it fixes itself.

Any ideas as to what this may beHuh
34 REPLIES
N/A

DG834 Connection Issue

I regularly have exacty the same problem but I don't know anything about firmware, "ping", etc so just switch off the Netgear for a while and (usually) I'm back on again. However, today this isn't working and all I'm getting is the DNS/web page unavailable screen every time. I've re-booted the computer but being a dummy don't know what else to try.

HELP please :!:
N/A

DG834 Connection Issue

Well, it is good to know that it is not just me, lets wait and see what tomorrow brings, perhaps a few more responses.
I take it when it happens you log onto the router and see that it is still connected under router status.

Also, if you click on Diagnostics, you can then attempt to do a DNS lookup to an address for eg www.bbc.co.uk and get an IP number back.

Test it whilst it is working so you know what should happen and then the next time it fails try it again.
N/A

DG834 Connection Issue

You need to work out were the error is. From what you say its a dns error. When it happens again go onto the router and ping 194.119.131.66 or 83.170.69.93. If you get a reply then the problem is dns on the router. Try the same on a pc and see if you get a reply if you do then you can get out ok. Try pinging a known address like bbc.co.uk and see if you get a reply if you dont its the dns.

It works two ways the router picks up the dns on contact and your pc also has a dns. If you pc's dns is set to the router and its dns fails then the router and pc both fail.

Try setting the dns on your pc to 194.119.131.65 and the secondery to 212.159.13.49 this is splitting th dns across 2 isp's so if one goes down the other should work. You can also set the dns on the router but the pc's will be requesting the ip from their own dns settings.

The problem only normaly happens when you use the router as dns because you are using dhcp so the router assigns its self as dns.
N/A

DG834 Connection Issue

Thanks for the advice, although I'm a bit baffled by some of the jargon! I'm guessing my problem is with my PC because I tried dialling up to Plusnet through the 56K modem and got connected (according to the connection "log" screen) but still only got the detect network settings/web page unavailable screen.
keithcalder
Grafter

DG834 Connection Issue

I have a D834G and sometimes notice the connection goes all to pot. If I go into the config menu and look at the connection stats, I regularly see the SNR ratio drop to 10db, however upon rebooting the router the SNR goes back up to 26db where it usually is.

Perhaps this could be dodgy firmware indeed. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

Keith
N/A

DG834 Connection Issue

It's the version of firmware. I also had the same problem after I upgraded to that version of firmware.

I downgraded back to 1.05 and no problems since.
N/A

DG834 Connection Issue

If you are getting problems on a 56k modem as well then its sounds like a virus or spyware issue. Goto start/run then type cmd and then ipconfig /all and let us see the results. I would check for spyware/virus and check your host file as if the pc has been hyjacked that could contain false info
N/A

DG834 Connection Issue

If you are getting problems on a 56k modem as well then its sounds like a virus or spyware issue.

Where did a modem get mentioned, in a router firmware problem Wink
Community Veteran

DG834 Connection Issue

It's the version of firmware. I also had the same problem after I upgraded to that version of firmware.

I downgraded back to 1.05 and no problems since.

I also had connection problems with firmware version 2.10.17 - the ADSL kept disconnecting frequently during the day, see page 2 of this thread for details - so I reverted back to 2.10.09 which I have had no problems with over the last few months I have run it. So I suspect there is a problem with the 2.10.17 version. I find 2.10.09 far superior to 1.05 and have had >1000 hours uptime (for ADSL & router) compared to no more then 48 hours between disconnects / reboots on 1.05.
LiamM
Grafter

DG834 Connection Issue

Well I'm using 2.10.17 without problems here. Been running for a good few weeks (since it was released) without any drops at all.
N/A

DG834 Connection Issue

Likewise Liam. We are running the same firmware on several routers with no issues, however Netgear are aware that a number of people using this version are experiencing issues as mentioned by Peter.

As could be expected this is being investigated.
N/A

DG834 Connection Issue

Ditto for me no problems with the Firmware 2.10.17 Wink
N/A

DG834 Connection Issue

The modem was mentioned

I qoute
I tried dialling up to Plusnet through the 56K modem and got connected (according to the connection "log" screen) but still only got the detect network settings/web page unavailable screen

Which means there is somother problem not related to the router if he gets the error on a modem
N/A

DG834 Connection Issue

fao mwright

Thanks for your advice. I tried cmd in "run" and just got a message saying "cannot find file 'cmd' (or one of its components).....

I think I've got a major problem here so, as I'm now well off topic and upsetting Gadgetboy, I'd better seek advice on another thread.