cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DACS frustration ...

N/A

DACS frustration ...

Has anyone else had to deal with a DACS removal ?

If so, what's the general length of time taken to get online ?

My original scheduled activation date of 10th May. When that day came and went with no connection, I contacted CS who checked with BT and then told me I had DACS on the line.

The DACS needed to be removed and a BT update was due on the 16th. When this date came and went with no connection, I called CS again on the 18th and they told me ...
"I have been assured that your ADSL will be activated by tomorrow at the latest."

Today (19th) my ticket (16572921) was also updated to state that BT's next update will now be on the 23rd !!

So I rang CS again only for them to confirm that there was no change in the DACS status, there's nothing they can do and that I'll just have to wait.

Calling BT to try to get an update was pointless and they told me it's BT Wholesale who sort out the DACS removals, and they won't talk to the end-user, just the ISP.

I seem to be stuck in the middle of PN and BT, unable to get any idea of when I'll get my DACS removed. There's probably nothing anyone can do, but it's annoying all the same, and I just needed to vent my frustration.

Of course, BT might just turn round and say they won't remove the DACS, and I'll be stuffed. :x
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

DACS frustration ...

Please excuse my ignorance! Tongue But what is DACS? :?
N/A

DACS frustration ...

It basically allows BT to run 2 lines down 1 piece of copper wiring. *BUT* you can't have DACS and ADSL at the same time Sad

For more info on what DACS is visit http://frank.gwc.org.uk/~ali/dacs

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Quote removed. There is no need to quote a preceding post in full.
Community Veteran

DACS frustration ...

Ah I know what it is now, and i've been trying to persuade someone with it to get ADSL but they need the two lines anyhow so they won't be getting BB for a while!

Thanks for Explaining It Me!
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

DACS frustration ...

I think (could be totally wrong though) that if you request adsl on a line with dacs BT remove it, and install any new cable etc.. for free.

Phil
N/A

DACS frustration ...

BT will remove if possible,

I think they have to investigate it first. and depends on cost of removal, i.e. is it cost effective for them to remove..

I may be wrong and i think it is only extreme cases when it comes down to not beeing cost effective for them..
Community Veteran

DACS frustration ...

If I remember correctly you just state on your aplication that DACS is on the line.
Plusnet will get BT to remove it and BT will charge you for its removal on your next phone bill. £50 I recall. Sad
LiamM
Grafter

DACS frustration ...

That is for ISDN only though isn't it?

Apparently BT do not actually have an obligation to remove DACS, so could turn around and say no.
Community Veteran

DACS frustration ...

Yes hopefully I'm getting confused with IDSN.
It's a long time ago since I had to deal with it so you may be correct,.
Community Veteran

DACS frustration ...

DACs removal is free, ISDN removal is £50.

However the DACs boxes were used when there was a limited number of lines available and sometimes it is not actually possible to remove it because no spare lines are available.

Removal involves a BT engineeer to visit your premisis and may also involve getting into your house or your neighbours if the DACS unit is inside. It can take 2 or 3 weeks to arrange all this and have it removed. More if a new line has to be installed between you and the local pole/green box.
N/A

Your ADSL is now active!

Cheesy

But I'll just have to wait till I get home before I'll know for sure.

Fingers crossed ...
N/A

DACS frustration ...

Back in the bad old days before home broadband, I had dial up access and was very new to the Internet. I had a 56k modem but could only get 28k speeds out of it. I tried all the solutions that were put to me at the time but it turned out finally to be the fact that I had a DACS line. I asked BT to change it and they wouldn't as they said they only had to provide a telephone connection and it worked fine for that.

I then pointed out that my neighbours had 56k connections, were paying the same as me and yet I was having a substandard service to them. Got nowhere despite numerous letters.

In the end I gave up and wrote to ofcom (I think it was them at least). Within two days a BT manager rang me to say that of course I could have the DACS removed, it would be no problem etc.

After that, everything was fine. They didn't need to call into my house.