cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DACS Box

N/A

DACS Box

My current BT line has a DACS box which splits the line into two. I understand ths has to be removed before ADSL will work. I was just wondering if anyone knew how much this would delay the orderng process. My exchange was activated today. Does a BT Engineer have to come out to remove the box? Do you know how long this will take and does it cost any extra?

Cheers,

Dan
Almost on plusnet 1024Kbps!
7 REPLIES
N/A

DACS Box

Dacs is removed subject the the availability of spare pairs. This can usualy add upto 2 week onto the ordering process and BT will make a site visit.

However, they will only normaly need access inside your property if the DACS unit is indoors.

PlusNet will normaly advise you that BT need access, and organise an appointment when needed.

Dacs removal is free, however, BT do set a cost limit of £950. If the cost to remove it goes above this, you are usualy lumbered with it. Though this usualy happens, only when there are unsificient spare pairs.
N/A

DACS Box

Should that be £950 or £95? The DACS box is inside and there should be spair pairs because we used to just have a single line and had they put the box in when we wanted a second line, we won't need the 2nd line anymore though so it shouldn't be a problem just to go back to how it was before should it?
N/A

DACS Box

In which case, it should be straight forward.

Saying that, is the second line in use at this time? If both lines are in use (IE, you making payment on them), then the second line is of no use at this time, and it is unlikely that BT could make the changes quick enough on there database to allow this.

Yes, I did mean £950 and not £95 Cheesy
N/A

DACS Box

Yer the second line is being used for my dial-up connection. Are you saying this will delay the process further?

I did ring BT a couple of weeks ago to let them know about my situation and then told me they had to carry out some kind of survey before they could go about removing the second line, haven't heard from them since. They'll probably still end up billing me for the use of the 2nd line for the next quarter even though its going soon! Never mind though.

I'm at the activation stage in the order now so i'm guessing i'll be hearing from plus net soon once BT tell them about the DACS box? Knowing my luck i probably won't be anywhere near having broadband by the end of the month!
N/A

DACS Box

OK - There are a few points raised there.

BT will need to perform a site survery on a DACS line before they cease it. More often that not, it is a external visual inspection, to see if anything should be removed that is no longer required.

As you also said, your second line is still there. This is a bit of a problem, however, what is means for your chances I don't know.

For BT to supply ADSL, that wire needs to be a single non-DACS line or, the 1st or 2nd pair of a DACS line. Your is currently both the 1st and 2nd pair, meaning it isn;t possible.

Now BT will have to install a whole new line to your house, over which they will supply either line 1 or line 2. Leaving you with two non-DACS lines.

This is where the cost comes in. Although you don't have to pay for this work, BT set a budget of £950 (nine hundred and fifty UK greens ones) for this work to take place.

Where any work (including contractor hire) is needed and breaks the budget, your line is classes as unviable for DACS removal.

I suspect your plan was to return to a single line one you have broadband. With all honesty, returning to a single line prir to ordering may have been the better option.

You may have still had to go through the DACS removal process, however, no new length of cable will have been needed.

Your best waiting for the outcome of this request now. If it does fail, then you need to possibly look at that option.
N/A

DACS Box

Hi, just wondering if it's possible to remove DACS by "re-routing the lines at the exchange" as this is what plusnet have told me BT are doing. I don't have any reason to doubt them except that i've never heard of this happening before and was under the impression that an engineer had to visit your house to remove the DACS. Also, the work was supposed to be done today which should mean i have two complete lines now. However, he internet still only connects at 33.6Kbps. Seems strange. Is it worth giving BT a ring ?
N/A

DACS Box

Just spoke to BT and they say they're in the process of taking the DACS out at the exchange so looks as if it is possible! With luck i should be on broadband by the end of the week!