cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

D-link DSL-500 router with no-NAT

N/A

hi, have been trying to config my router to use the no-nat option of 2day when i got my ip changed over, but its does not seam to be working. It works fine under normal NAT setup, but as soon as I change the routers internal ip and the servers ip to xxx.xxx.xxx.xx3 and xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx4 respectively, with subnet mask 255.255.255.252, it all stops working. can't even ping the router

the server is running smoothwall 2.0 beta5 with 2 NICs if that helps

any ideas?

thanks in advance

Johnathan
7 REPLIES
N/A

Have you looked at the No-NAT D-Link Customer Support page on the Portal? It's actually for the DSL-504, but hopefully the differences aren't great.
N/A

yes i have, followed it, but it still does not want to work Sad i can't think of anything else apart from the router not liking the same ip externaly as internaly, but maybe i'm wrong
N/A

Your comment rang a bell! There was something similar to this on the Force9 forum a while back when another person tried to set the same IP Address on both the PPP connection and the LAN Ethernet connection of his DSL-500. Unfortunately, he didn't post back to say how he got on. It looks like this particular router may not allow it, even though it's a "legitimate" thing to do. See VPN over ADSL on the Force9 forum (you may need to log on with the guest account).
N/A

i have had some sucess Cheesy
if i unplug the adsl from the router, allocate it the ip, then reconnect the adsl, i can still access the router, which i couldn't do before. But, i can get net access, including ping, i can go a far a ping the router, but no further. Had to switch it back to NAT for just now Sad
N/A

It works! Cheesy
got reply back from d-link tech support, had to upgrade firmware, but, they said to tell the router to use PPP unnumbered, and it now appears that the router has no ip only showing 0.0.0.0 and the correct default gateway :?
it all works fine, but i have not come across that setting before...could someone please explain it?

regards
Johnathan
N/A

Each maker calls certain settings different things.

In this case, it is turning router mode off. PPP unnumbered will mean that no IP address is assigned to the external interface of the router.

Thus any trafiic to incoming must be destined for another location, which you define as the IP ont he machine in question.
N/A

I think you just have to accept it as one of the quirks of PPP. I have the O'Reilly book on PPP, and it's mentioned there (Chapter Cool. Here's the introductory paragraph (and a bit) to that section:

Unnumbered PPP network interfaces don't have IP addresses of their own. Instead, they inherit their addresses from other network interfaces on the same node. This gives PPP connections an invisible appearence in the network. Consequently, you can avoid most IP addressing and routing issues.

The Unnumbered architecture primarily connects IP subnets (see Figure 8-4). Usually, a PPP node has a PPP network interface that shares the same IP address as its LAN interface.