cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

D-Link

N/A

D-Link

Just thought I'd let people know to steer clear of D-Link kit.

Used to think they were good (my DSL-500 was rock solid) .... not now.

My G604T now looses its configuration 2-3 times a day, the Wirless LAN now wont auto start, I have to use a network cable to go in and click "apply" on the wireless config page to wake it up.

D-Link support in the UK has gone, D-Link support went to Canada, thats now closed.

So basically - dont touch them with a barge pole.
14 REPLIES
N/A

D-Link

Hi.
Shame to hear that, my two old 900+APs are rock solid. Which ( and in fear of repeating myself) considering the fact that they spent the first year of their lives outside in tupperware boxes is pretty good. One of them even had a family of earwigs living in it :!:
Cheers
Jon
N/A

D-Link

I've stabilised the 604 by re-flashing its firmware and doing a complete reconfiguration. Not really what you want to spend Sunday evening doing but....
MajorError
Dabbler

D-Link

I don't suppose it helps but, when I first started BB I used a Linksys adsl modem and a D-link wireless router. I kept getting problems linking which only went away when I replaced all the hardware - D-Link and Linksys did not appear to be compatible
N/A

D-Link

Its all pretty moot now as the router has died.

Wirless went crazy at the weekend - just kept locking up. So I did a factory reset and put all the config back it.

Sometime last night the wireless died again. Rebooted it, got it up and running, got into work, tried to connect back to my computer at home and got the Config page for the router which had lost most of my configuration. Loaded in a known good configuration which reboots it and its gone AWOL.

Ho hum... off to the computer shop tonght to buy something different I think.
N/A

D-Link

Hi.
Don't want to teach you to suck eggs etc. But have you tried reseating the wireless card? Has been known to be the problem in the past.
Cheers
Jon
N/A

D-Link

The problem is in the router not the wireless card in my Thinkpad - which will quite happily connect to the neighbours linksys ;-).
N/A

D-Link

Sometime last night the wireless died again.

I mean the wireless card in the router Cheesy
Cheers
Jon
N/A

D-Link

Its integrated on board in the router
N/A

D-Link

Oh right, sorry.
They must find it cheaper to do it that way nowadays.
Cheers
Jon
N/A

D-Link

Sometimes I think they take cheap just a bit too far!.

Oh well - off to browse Wireless ADSL router reviews again!
MajorError
Dabbler

D-Link

I do have a DL-624+ router spare, if you're interested... Wink
N/A

D-Link

Well after it decided to go bonkers yesterday morning (and offered its own configuration pages up as my website!) it went into complete sulk mode.

Got hold of a Belkin 633 - nice bit of kit but its 100Mb ports were ropey (60-100% packet lost pinging anything connected on the RJ45s). So at 10:30 last night (I'm on call and need a connection) I did a complete flash and rebuild of the DLink and its behaved itself so far. The Belkin went back to the shop today and as they didn't have any more in stock (apart from the display model which they said I could have .... at full price!!!) I got a refund.

Fun and games.... not Wink
N/A

D-Link

(apart from the display model which they said I could have .... at full price!!!)

Don't you just love shops?
Going wildly OT now.
Me mates usb adsl modem packed up so I sent him to the local shop to get one. Get a phone call next day saying the only thing they had would cost 50quid!!
Rang the shop up....
Me: have you got a usb adsl modem for me mate?
shop: An usb adsl modem is only a one port router/modem
Me: Ok, have you got one?
Shop: No.
Me:Have you got a cheap NIC? ( I got a spare ethernet modem he can have)
Shop: The cheapest we do is 15 quid but it is a 56K hardware modem.
Me: I don't want a modem I want a NIC
etc. etc.etc. ad nauseum(sp?)

Sorry to waffle.. but this pisses me off, especially when yer in the shop and hear them give a quote of 120quid to supply and fit adsl hardware to a 70+yr old woman who doesn't know what she wants in the way of hardware for her new BB connection.
Cheers
Jon
N/A

D-Link

The shop I bought the 633 from tried to sell me a warranty :shock:

Belkin have a lifetime guarantee and have been known to replace kit that is a couple of years old with new models when it goes bang. Now if only D-Link did something similar..