cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

D-Link DSL 504 Router

N/A

D-Link DSL 504 Router

I have a D-LINK DSL 504 Router, can anyone tell me how to set the Advanced Filtering & Firewall page(what options need to be selected...etc).

should the "IP FILTER STATE" box be disabled or enabled (at the top of the page)?
I have not altered any of the other settings on this page - is this correct ?

I have 3-PC's on my home-network, connecting to the net via the router.

Do i need to run a firewall on all of the PC's on my network, or should the one on the router be ok.... therefore Which is best........??

Thanks in advance for any help i receive !

14 REPLIES
N/A

RE: D-Link DSL 504 Router

Andy,

Do us a favour. Log into your routers port.
Check your firmware under maintenance.

Also run Diagnose on maintenance and reply to me if you get a fail at "Data transmission test"

Also if you are running with DHCP on auto you shouldn't worry unless you are using a static IP address. Check that NAT is enabled (Network address translation).
This feature acts as a firewall ensuring that their are no IP conflicts with anyone else on the internet. Also DHCP ensures that a new IP address is automatically allocated to yourself.

Let us know

Cheers

--
N/A

> Andy,
>
> Do us a favour. Log into your routers port.
> Check your firmware under maintenance.
>
> Also run Diagnose on maintenance and reply to me if you get a fail at "Data transmission test"
>
> Also if you are running with DHCP on auto you shouldn't worry unless you are using a static IP address. Check that NAT is enabled (Network address translation).
> This feature acts as a firewall ensuring that their are no IP conflicts with anyone else on the internet. Also DHCP ensures that a new IP address is automatically allocated to yourself.
>
> Let us know
>
> Cheers
>
>
> --
>
Hello Tim,

The firmware is: R2.21.002.06.b2t10uk
DHCP Config of LAN is enabled - but i have a fixed IP address, is this OK ?
NAT Config is enabled
Multiple NAT is disabled

Do i need to enable Advanced filtering and FIrewall

I could not run "Diagnose on maintenance" as i could not find it !!

Thanks for your help

Andy
N/A

> Hello Tim,
>
> The firmware is: R2.21.002.06.b2t10uk
> DHCP Config of LAN is enabled - but i have a fixed IP address, is this OK ?
> NAT Config is enabled
> Multiple NAT is disabled
>
> Do i need to enable Advanced filtering and FIrewall
>
> I could not run "Diagnose on maintenance" as i could not find it !!
>
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Andy

Allright do not despair!

Go to the D-link Website under support and hook up onto the FTP download site and get the latest firmware driver. My Router had exactly the same firmware as yours and so upgraded the same day I got it yesterday.
Anyhow go for the b2T18UK version, download it, extract the zip file, click the setup exe. and not the icon with the arrow pointing.
Once everything has loaded, run the flash program, type in your routers IP address and click upgrade.
Next pray hard that your computer does not bomb out.
Even hold your breath and make sure no one is vacuuming the flooring.
Don't forget to use the original log in user,passwords as everything will be reset once the DSL-504 has booted. Change your log in passwords once again and don't forget to log on to plusnet.
You must also type in your primary and secondary server addresses, click ok and save changes. She auto reboots once again.

About advanced filtering and firewall. Try it out and enable it 1st. Save changes then reboot again.
Then check your Adv. filtering and Firewall summary.
I couldn't tell you yet as I have only one PC hooked up running WIN XP-Pro. My other 2 need some patch cable. You wouldn't know where I could get an ext. female adapter attached with cable to extend my old crossover CAT5e?

Don't worry you doing the right thing. By upgrading the firmware you will have the added feature.

Check this one out 1st then go for it.

http://www.itreality.co.uk/Reviews/DSL504Review/DSL504-Review1.htm

Goodluck!

--
N/A

> > Hello Tim,
> >
> > The firmware is: R2.21.002.06.b2t10uk
> > DHCP Config of LAN is enabled - but i have a fixed IP address, is this OK ?
> > NAT Config is enabled
> > Multiple NAT is disabled
> >
> > Do i need to enable Advanced filtering and FIrewall
> >
> > I could not run "Diagnose on maintenance" as i could not find it !!
> >
> >
> > Thanks for your help
> >
> > Andy
>
> Allright do not despair!
>
> Go to the D-link Website under support and hook up onto the FTP download site and get the latest firmware driver. My Router had exactly the same firmware as yours and so upgraded the same day I got it yesterday.
> Anyhow go for the b2T18UK version, download it, extract the zip file, click the setup exe. and not the icon with the arrow pointing.
> Once everything has loaded, run the flash program, type in your routers IP address and click upgrade.
> Next pray hard that your computer does not bomb out.
> Even hold your breath and make sure no one is vacuuming the flooring.
> Don't forget to use the original log in user,passwords as everything will be reset once the DSL-504 has booted. Change your log in passwords once again and don't forget to log on to plusnet.
> You must also type in your primary and secondary server addresses, click ok and save changes. She auto reboots once again.
>
> About advanced filtering and firewall. Try it out and enable it 1st. Save changes then reboot again.
> Then check your Adv. filtering and Firewall summary.
> I couldn't tell you yet as I have only one PC hooked up running WIN XP-Pro. My other 2 need some patch cable. You wouldn't know where I could get an ext. female adapter attached with cable to extend my old crossover CAT5e?
>
> Don't worry you doing the right thing. By upgrading the firmware you will have the added feature.
>
> Check this one out 1st then go for it.
>
> http://www.itreality.co.uk/Reviews/DSL504Review/DSL504-Review1.htm
>
>
> Goodluck!
>
>
>
> --
> Hi Tim,

Thanks for all of this help, i will try it over the weekend, and post my results.......!!!

As for the ext. female adapter for your Cat5 try ebay.

Catch u soon
Andy

N/A

> > > Hello Tim,
> > >
> > > The firmware is: R2.21.002.06.b2t10uk
> > > DHCP Config of LAN is enabled - but i have a fixed IP address, is this OK ?
> > > NAT Config is enabled
> > > Multiple NAT is disabled
> > >
> > > Do i need to enable Advanced filtering and FIrewall
> > >
> > > I could not run "Diagnose on maintenance" as i could not find it !!
> > >
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help
> > >
> > > Andy
> >
> > Allright do not despair!
> >
> > Go to the D-link Website under support and hook up onto the FTP download site and get the latest firmware driver. My Router had exactly the same firmware as yours and so upgraded the same day I got it yesterday.
> > Anyhow go for the b2T18UK version, download it, extract the zip file, click the setup exe. and not the icon with the arrow pointing.
> > Once everything has loaded, run the flash program, type in your routers IP address and click upgrade.
> > Next pray hard that your computer does not bomb out.
> > Even hold your breath and make sure no one is vacuuming the flooring.
> > Don't forget to use the original log in user,passwords as everything will be reset once the DSL-504 has booted. Change your log in passwords once again and don't forget to log on to plusnet.
> > You must also type in your primary and secondary server addresses, click ok and save changes. She auto reboots once again.
> >
> > About advanced filtering and firewall. Try it out and enable it 1st. Save changes then reboot again.
> > Then check your Adv. filtering and Firewall summary.
> > I couldn't tell you yet as I have only one PC hooked up running WIN XP-Pro. My other 2 need some patch cable. You wouldn't know where I could get an ext. female adapter attached with cable to extend my old crossover CAT5e?
> >
> > Don't worry you doing the right thing. By upgrading the firmware you will have the added feature.
> >
> > Check this one out 1st then go for it.
> >
> > http://www.itreality.co.uk/Reviews/DSL504Review/DSL504-Review1.htm
> >
> >
> > Goodluck!
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Hi Tim,
>
> Thanks for all of this help, i will try it over the weekend, and post my results.......!!!
>
> As for the ext. female adapter for your Cat5 try ebay.
>
> Catch u soon
> Andy
>
>

Hello Tim,

I have successfully updated the firmware to the latest version.

I performed a diagnose and it did fail the "data transmission test" , but passed the other 4 tests -what does this mean ??

The primary and secondary server addresses were automatically entered (i did not need to input them). All i had to do was entre the plus.net username and password to reconnect to the NET.

N/A

Hey Andy

Good stuff!!
Well now just need to tinker some more. Once you get started with it you just can't stop.
Are you using a Static IP address with NAT disabled.
Also is your network client/server or peer to peer.

What operating systems are you using?

Cheers Boet!

N/A

> Hey Andy
>
> Good stuff!!
> Well now just need to tinker some more. Once you get started with it you just can't stop.
> Are you using a Static IP address with NAT disabled.
> Also is your network client/server or peer to peer.
>
> What operating systems are you using?
>
> Cheers Boet!
>
>
>
>
Hi Tim

Yes i have a static IP, but NAT is enabled.
My OS is WinXP.

I think my home network is client / server ??
I have all the PC's (3 of them) connecting to the router-hub, and i used the WinXP home-networking setup.

Thanks
Andy

N/A

Andy,

Check your carrier chart under summary at your routers browser. Mine does not work!!

Mmmm hope I didn't stuff this one up.

Do you have a Network operating system installed on one of your PC's ie. MS 2000 server. If you are only using the one Op. Sys. on all your PC's then you have a peer to peer network.
Did you ask PlusNet to give you a static IP address??

Let us know.

Cheers
N/A

> Andy,
>
> Check your carrier chart under summary at your routers browser. Mine does not work!!
>
> Mmmm hope I didn't stuff this one up.
>
> Do you have a Network operating system installed on one of your PC's ie. MS 2000 server. If you are only using the one Op. Sys. on all your PC's then you have a peer to peer network.
> Did you ask PlusNet to give you a static IP address??
>
> Let us know.
>
> Cheers

Hi Tim,

The carrier chart under summary at my routers browser tells u the downstream speed, plotting a nice little graph... !!

I do not have MS 2000 Server installed on any of my PC's, they all have WinXp installed - so i presume my network is peer-peer.

Yes, Plusnet automatically give you a static IP address, the reason i wanted this is so i can log-in to work from home on my Laptop.

Andy
N/A

Howzit Andy,

Just a question from you about where to find my Static IP address.
If you go into your Routers Browser-Go to config then multiple pvc , look at the bottom script - PPP information , IP address and gateway.
You'll see the 2 seperate address. Which one coincides with your IP address or am I off the point and will have to contact +net for my address.

Those details please if you don't mind.

Cheers

Tim
N/A

> Howzit Andy,
>
> Just a question from you about where to find my Static IP address.
> If you go into your Routers Browser-Go to config then multiple pvc , look at the bottom script - PPP information , IP address and gateway.
> You'll see the 2 seperate address. Which one coincides with your IP address or am I off the point and will have to contact +net for my address.
>
> Those details please if you don't mind.
>
> Cheers
>
> Tim

Go to "My Connection" on your Plus.Net homepage.
There will then be a shortcut to "static IP", this will tell you your IP address.

Andy
N/A

Andy,

You couldn't perhaps give us an idea how one can log into work using a Static IP address?
ie. Do you log this IP address on your Remote Access server at work? or use a Virtual private network to work from home? Can you elaborate as I have done a small amount of research.
Also used when you want to play any online games.

About WIN XP-pro not getting a reading of the line carrier chart. You need to download Java to enable applets to work as WIN XP does not come with Java.
Works well now.
I would also recommend getting yourself a firewall seeing that you are using a static IP address. Zonealarm is free to download off the internet.

Cheers

Tim

N/A

> Andy,
>
> You couldn't perhaps give us an idea how one can log into work using a Static IP address?
> ie. Do you log this IP address on your Remote Access server at work? or use a Virtual private network to work from home? Can you elaborate as I have done a small amount of research.
> Also used when you want to play any online games.
>
> About WIN XP-pro not getting a reading of the line carrier chart. You need to download Java to enable applets to work as WIN XP does not come with Java.
> Works well now.
> I would also recommend getting yourself a firewall seeing that you are using a static IP address. Zonealarm is free to download off the internet.
>
> Cheers
>
> Tim
>
>
>

Hello Again Tim,

I connect to "my work" via VPN, our IT Dept for security reasons require a static IP address.

Where can i download Java to enable applets to work on my OS ?

Yes, i am using a firewall - Zone Alarm, but as well i have NAT enabled on the router.

Bye for now......!!!!
N/A

> Where can i download Java to enable applets to work on my OS ?

Andy,

You want Java? Do you like coffee for your computer??

Go here - http://java.sun.com/

Cheers Tim

PS: I could only use VPN if I had a job! :0)
Also check out telnet useability on your router regarding VPN.