cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

D-LINK DSL-504 or NETGEAR DG814

N/A

D-LINK DSL-504 or NETGEAR DG814

I am thinking of changing my stingray modem for an ADSL router. Can anyone tell me if there is anything between these two routers. i.e. performance, usability and features.
You comments would be greatly appreciated in helping me make a decision on which to buy.
Thanks. . . .:confused:
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

RE: D-LINK DSL-504 or NETGEAR DG814

> I am thinking of changing my stingray modem for an ADSL router. Can anyone tell me if there is anything between these two routers. i.e. performance, usability and features.
> You comments would be greatly appreciated in helping me make a decision on which to buy.
> Thanks. . . .:confused:

High Trevor.

Yes I think I can give you a bit of feedback on each of these.
I run a D-link 504 and I installed the Net gear on on a pals machine.
the facilities are much the same for both of them but of the 2 I think that the D-link setup is much easier to find your way around.
The Net gear on screen information is a bit cluttered
Performance is again much the same from both of them
On balance I think the D-link just gets my vote.

Hope the above helps.

--
Regards
John
http://www.hmrg.co.uk
Gryzor
Grafter

The 504 with the latest firmware update also has Upnp so you can use ALL the features of Messenger over it without problems.
N/A

Yup, DLink every time for me!
N/A

Thanks for the comments.
Looks like D-LINK is ahead so far then!
Are there any other routers to consider in the same price range?

N/A

I went through the same process of elimination and ended up with a D-Link 504. Cheapest place I found was broadbandbuyer.co.uk. To configure, all I did was plug it in & put in my username+password. All the default values worked first time. One thing to note is that the PDF user manual on their website is out of date and the one on the CD is in M$ Turd format. Could be a problem if you don't have access to software that can read that format.
Over all I'd reccomend it. It's got VPN pass-through too which is important for me so I can connect to my employer's network and work from home. You might want to consider the wireless version - which wasn't available when I got mine. It's got an integrated WAP so you can connect to it using wireless network adaptors. I'm planning to plug a WAP into my DSL-504 so I can have wireless access for my notebook & then I'll be able to work from home while lounging by the pool outside :cheese:

> Thanks for the comments.
> Looks like D-LINK is ahead so far then!
> Are there any other routers to consider in the same price range?
>
>

N/A

Why not spend a little extra a buy the D-link 514. It has extra facilities and 4 ports for you to add the extra pc or two!! I can obtain it for £100.00 if you're interested. Also if you have problems on any set-up phone D-link direct their support is brilliant and FREE.

N/A

The 504 does have a 4 port switch built in. Or at least mine does anyway.... Smiley It was the 500 that only had one port. dlink website is now saying both are discontinued, so maybe the 514 is the new model, though I couldn't find it on their site...

> Why not spend a little extra a buy the D-link 514. It has extra facilities and 4 ports for you to add the extra pc or two!! I can obtain it for £100.00 if you're interested. Also if you have problems on any set-up phone D-link direct their support is brilliant and FREE.
>
>

N/A

> The 504 does have a 4 port switch built in. Or at least mine does anyway.... Smiley It was the 500 that only had one port. dlink website is now saying both are discontinued, so maybe the 514 is the new model, though I couldn't find it on their site...
>
I checked the Dlink website and it appears that they have a new model called DL604 but it seems to be half the price. Am I missing something here?
:confused: