cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cut down downloads.

N/A

Cut down downloads.

When i downlaod a file it goes about around 130k for the first 30 secs or more. Then it drops to around 55k. Why is this. Its only happends resently. And if my lines are capable of this kind of speed, why cant i have it all the time?
6 REPLIES
N/A

Cut down downloads.

What speed connection are you on?

I get inaccurate speeds for the first few seconds when I download a file usually starts off at 700K/sec and then drops down to my cap (~120Kb) after about 10 seconds.
N/A

Cut down downloads.

My modem shows me to be on a 576 conection. Meg if only....
N/A

Cut down downloads.

Ok ... on the 512k package you should be getting arounf 60 - 65kb/sec max - I think this is the way IE / Mozilla calcuates the speed on downloads and as I said above this usually happens on most downloads and takes a few seconds to give a "true" speed.

If you are constantly getting 55Kb/sec max then you may have a problem, but if its occasioanlly I wouldn't worry too much.
N/A

Cut down downloads.

actually, the real reason for this is that windows will begin to cache a file once the link is activated.
when you finally select save, it then transfers the file directly to the saved area from cache. as the file has already started, you will be seeing speeds typical of your system speeds transferring to the named saved position.
finally, the transfer from the cached area will match the speed of the file coming in and the rate will truly reflect the rate at which your connection is getting it from the source.
hope this helps.
N/A

Cut down downloads.

nothink to do with IE this is happing for me aswell i was fine on 1meg than got upgrade and it aint stable.........downloading from a 100mbit FTP and the speeds are all over the place one min its 140kbps than 50kbps than 200kbps all over the place

i'm glad that others are getting the same problem coz i thought i was just me and its ashame plusnet aint even replyed to any thread like this one
would be great to even try and fix this
N/A

Cut down downloads.

your problem is def not the same as nurserycottage. her problem is very specific and show her line settling on what it should be finaly.
your line is doing the jelly bean thing and is something seperate.