Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer Service

N/A

Customer Service

Posted to Plus.net earlier today:

To who it may concern,
I sincerely hope that this note will be forwarded to your complaints department. I am at a loss as to where to begin but last night I received the worst customer service that I have ever experienced.
I will ignore for the moment the fact that this is the second time in the space of about a month that I have had a complete loss of broadband service, and rather I wish to discuss the Customer service at plus.net. This is not the first time that I have been disappointed with this customer service, but this instance goes beyond anything I have encountered before and into the realm of the extraordinary.
I called your support helpline to report my broadband fault. This was after gathering as many details of the fault as possible, including running all my modem's diagnostic functions and determining that I had basic connectivity but the modem was failing to authenticate with the ISP server.
I waited in a phone queue for in excess of one hour. This is itself is appaling but it gets considerably worse. I then spoke to a man who gave me two simple tests to perform. The tests would take less than 30 seconds to perform. The man then informed me that ---he could not stay on the line while I performed these tests and that I would have to call back---. Having just waited over an hour to get through, I naturally objected but he was adamant that this was correct company policy (I had in this interval performed the first test - it failed). I asked to speak to his supervisor so he put me through to Dave Scarpa. Mr Scarpa also informed me that this was company policy. I asked to make a complaint at this point (I had in this time finished the second test which also failed). He gave me a postal address to complain to rather than logging my complaint directly. I also informed him that I had performed the required tests and he insisted that I still needed to call back to log the request. He suggested that I use the premium rate support number if I wanted faster support. Excuse me?!! I am calling to complain about a service I have already payed for which is not working (and not for the first time). I called back and it took another 55 minutes to get through. In addition, I am already paying considerable sums of money to pay for 2 support phone calls which ultimately took over 2 hours just to log. And the issue has not been resolved yet. What more do I have to look forward to before this issue is fixed? On top of all of that, I also had to pay to use your backup dialup service.
This is an absolutely ridiculous company policy. How do you honestly expect to keep customers this way?
So I have wasted an entire evening (in this instance) dealing with your incomptetent support team, several pounds calling up twice to listen to bad music, and extra money to use the internet because my basic service was inoperable - again.
I was considering upgrading to your premium broadband service in order to host some domain names. At this stage I am wondering whether my efforts might better be placed in finding another service provider who can meet my needs and provide a basic level of customer service. I am also giving serious consideration to posting this note to several public domain media to warn others of what to expect when dealing with Plus.net.
Yours,
Tim
34 REPLIES
N/A

Customer Service

Hi Tim.

Firstly, welcome to the forums.

Sorry to hear of the problems you have encountered here.

Can I clarify one point? When you say "posted"do you mean by standard royal mail or posted via a ticket.

Either way I'll flag this to the Comms Team for whatever action deemed necessary, however, if you have sent it via the formal complaints process, that may be the best way of dealing with it.

I'll flag it up anyway and hope someone is in touch soon.
N/A

Customer Service

Hi Tim.

Firstly, welcome to the forums.

Sorry to hear of the problems you have encountered here.

Can I clarify one point? When you say "posted"do you mean by standard royal mail or posted via a ticket.

Either way I'll flag this to the Comms Team for whatever action deemed necessary, however, if you have sent it via the formal complaints process, that may be the best way of dealing with it.

I'll flag it up anyway and hope someone is in touch soon.

Mark - Posted in the sense of logging it through the website through the Customer Feedback section.
N/A

Customer Service

OMG! At least someone else is suffering at the hands of Plus.net I thought it was just me!

I've been disconnected for 6 days now and they won't entertain anything with me. I can't get through on the phone anytime between 9am and 11pm (only at 7am in the morning).

When I first reported the fault (saturday night, been off all saturday) they put it through as an automatic fault...which was daft because I couldn't connect to the internet, it only happened that when I was at uni on monday I thought I'd log in and see if there was any info I could see and the request said if I didn't reply in 48hrs it would close automatically.

Eventually I have got them to put it through as a manual fault (tuesday morning) andf still nothing. Everytime I put a request through for info on what is happening they ignore it, they won't phone me back to let me know because "they don't make outgoing calls" so I can ring them at one time of the day and still get nothing. It's absolutely ridiculous.

I am so disappointed I put in a feedback and have been met with basically arguements. I asked about compensation and they said ADSL is not guaranteed by BT and so they don't do it.

My arguement was that goodwill is not the responsibility of BT it's *theirs* becasue I am *their* client.

Am I being unreasonable?
N/A

Customer Service

Googlewhack.

Yeah I am not impressed at all at this point. And this is not the first problem I have had with plus.net customer support.

I had a similar incident a month ago where I reported a lack of service. They passed it on to BT to investigate. BT came back and said that everything was fine, and meanwhile I discovered that at the same time not only was my ADSL still not working but now my telephony was lost as well. Neither Plus.net or BT wanted to own the issue at that point and I argued long and hard with both to get it fixed. I still maintain that Plus.net should have gone back to BT and asked them to investigate further. Instead I had to play middle-man between the two. Utterly ridiculous.

And if I hear them suggest one more time that I should log the issue online... I mean seriously - they are providing internet access which doesn't work. Surely the last thing to suggest is that I use the internet (which obviously isn't working or I wouldn't be calling) to log the issue. It makes no sense.
N/A

Customer Service

And I agree with your claim for compensation. Their relationship with BT is theirs to manage, not ours. If they can't claim back recompense from BT that should not be our problem.
And at the very least they should PROVIDE FREE DIALUP for adsl customers who's service isn't working. I don't appreciate paying extra for a seriously downgraded service that I've already payed for.
shellsong
Grafter

Customer Service

... meanwhile I discovered that at the same time not only was my ADSL still not working but now my telephony was lost as well. Neither Plus.net or BT wanted to own the issue at that point and I argued long and hard with both to get it fixed. I still maintain that Plus.net should have gone back to BT and asked them to investigate further. Instead I had to play middle-man between the two. Utterly ridiculous.

Anything ADSL related has to be actioned through the ISP even if it's clearly a local line problem but loss of telephony is one thing that it is definitely BT's job to act on-- and quickly!
N/A

Customer Service

... meanwhile I discovered that at the same time not only was my ADSL still not working but now my telephony was lost as well. Neither Plus.net or BT wanted to own the issue at that point and I argued long and hard with both to get it fixed. I still maintain that Plus.net should have gone back to BT and asked them to investigate further. Instead I had to play middle-man between the two. Utterly ridiculous.

Anything ADSL related has to be actioned through the ISP even if it's clearly a local line problem but loss of telephony is one thing that it is definitely BT's job to act on-- and quickly!

Generally I agree. Except I would be very surprised if the loss of telephony did not relate to the investigation into my ADSL. Particularly strange given that BT reportedly came back with the all clear.
N/A

Customer Service

And I might add I spent a full half of that day talking to both BT and Plus.net. BT refused to do anything about it while Plus.net had a fault open on the line and insisted that I go back to Plus.net to get them to close the fault. Plus.net insisted that BT were perfectly capable of closing the fault themselves. And then they did close the fault but basically said I would have to start my ADSL fault all over again when BT fixed the telephony side. All of this with a series of 45 minute waiting queues. Utterly unaccaptable behaviour from both parties.
N/A

Customer Service

Hi again Tim,

Utterly unaccaptable behaviour from both parties.

Whilst i fully understand the frustration here, there are rules and procedures which have to be followed, most of which are set by the various wings of BT.

In your circumstances, as outlined, there are actually 3 parties.

PlusNet, BT Wholesale and BT retail

PlusNet and BTW are responsible for the ADSL side of your line, whilst BT retail retain full control over your PSTN or phoneline.

PlusNet can deal with BTW with regards your ADSL but have no authority to deal with BT retail. Once a PSTN fault is raised on a line, it is fully and entirely between you and BT Retail. PlusNet have no input, control or influence over the voice side of your line.

This is clearly where things are not ideal when the mix of ADSL and voice faults come into play.

What I will say is that BT Retail have an infuriating habit of blaming anyone they can and tend to attempt to pull the wool over those of us who may not be in the entire picture.

2 different organisations in the mix is problematic, add a third and it becomes a nightmare.

As to your original issue, as promised, I raised this to the Comms Team and Mand is aware. bear in mind that she has a heavy workload at present and will deal with this as soon as she can.
N/A

Customer Service

Mark, Thanks for your comment.
I had that all explained to me on the day. It's neither here nor there in relation to my current problem (although if somehow my phone gets disconnected during another ADSL outage, it may become so!).
Its relevance to my issue today is purely that it demonstrates a continued poor approach to customer service. Of the two parties that I spoke to on that day, BT were considerably more helpful and informative. They even called me back a couple of times around me arranging for the plus.net fault to be closed. They certainly didn't insist that I had to wait in another 1 hour waiting queue when they could have had their information in 30 seconds.
N/A

Customer Service

This response leaves me quite cold I am afraid:

Dear Mr Goodacre,
We are required to complete all tests before we can progress a fault with bt, if a fault is sent through to bt without it being fully tested the customer can face a fine of £54 + so we must ask these questions. I am sorry you feel that my collegue was not being helpfull as this was not the case we pride ourselves on providing good customer service and continue to train staff. The premioum rate number has been introduced as a faster support line as informed by my collegue, there is also the question system and the automated fault checker for customers who can get on line. If you wish for us to investigate this issue then please return this ticket with information.
Regards,
Michael Davis

My response:

Michael,
Thanks for your reply. I don't think you've grasped the important elements of my mail and I am a bit disappointed to be honest.

The issue here is not whether I should or should not run some tests. I was quite happy to do so. The issue is that after having waited a ludicrously long time to talk to someone, he would then not wait less than 30 seconds for me to run the tests. In fact they could not have been less helpful to me. And I had finished the tests by the time that I had spoken to the supervisor and was still forced to call back and wait another hour.

At this stage my service is still out, I am paying for your backup dialup service, and I have wasted a lot of time logging my complaint. None of this is up to scratch.

T
Ianwild
Grafter

Customer Service

Hi Tim,

I think you have raised a very fair point, and obviously there are details here of your customer support experience that need to be addressed.

I ave picked your feedback up and will pass it over to the CSC management who will, I am certain, take action on the basis of your experience.

Once I get some feedback, I will come back to the thread and provide a fuller response.

Regards,

Ian
N/A

Customer Service

Thanks very much Ian.
T
N/A

Customer Service

At least you seem to be getting somewhere now.

I asked for my Mac code and all I got was
Before we can generate your mac key there would be £58.75 fee to take out before we can generate it for you.

When *I* did the digging I finally discovered that they mean because I still have a month of my contract it will cost. Why not just say that?! I may as well wait another month. They totally think they can hold me over a barrel, like I can't leave.

I've requested that my contract finish on my expiry date now (as I have given just over 30 days notice) and we'll just go with Wanadoo or Orange or whoever it is now! At least they have a budget for customer service whilst here they are cutting it so they can save money.

With regards to the compensation thing, I don't see how it's any different to electric.

You cannot be responsible for all amounts of electricity outage but if you are without service for a significant length of time then It's fair enough. As such, I don't expect Plus.net to pay out for *all* downtime but I've been off for 6 days now. Today is day 7!!! They've referred it to BT so I'm guessing nothing will happen now.

Whilst I've been typing this they replied to my request to end my contract on expiry:
We cannot issue you with a MAC key, as you had signed up for our deferred activation offer. We would require the £58.75 fee to be taken before we can generate it for you.

What part of 'I don't want a mac key, I'm leaving' don't they get?

EDIT: My response:
I just told you I don't want the Mac key anymore, I just want the contract to END when it expires I.e. No rollover of 1 month contract.

Any activation would be good right now seeing as I haven't had any for 6 days!

Well if you can't laugh what can you do?