cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crash!

N/A

Crash!

I installed my A360 USB Modem, & on the reboot the system wouldn't boot. Booting in Safe Mode & Removing Modem Program Suite got it Booting (though all the Start Up Programs such as AV don't install). Reinstalling - same crash. Removed - Boots OK. Any suggestions (I've thought of "Buy a new Computer" for myself).

I have PII 233, running W98
7 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Crash!

> I installed my A360 USB Modem, & on the reboot the system wouldn't boot. Booting in Safe Mode & Removing Modem Program Suite got it Booting (though all the Start Up Programs such as AV don't install). Reinstalling - same crash. Removed - Boots OK. Any suggestions (I've thought of "Buy a new Computer" for myself).
>
> I have PII 233, running W98

Nick, I have just read your last two posts and have had exactly the same problems myself! I have just raised a ticket with support regarding the windows start and shutdown problem. I think it's probably some sort of clash with the modem itself. It looks like this is a new modem they are supplying. I wonder how much experience they have of it. It doesn't give a problem everytime though and I'm connected OK at the moment (will probably have a problem shutting down....)

Regarding the filter/splitters. I was told that the US filter supplied in the modem box is not required. I have successfully connected using the splitter supplied by connecting the phone directly into the phone side of the splitter and connecting the RJ-11 cable between the adsl side of the splitter and the 'line' socket of the modem. The splitter is them plugged into the telephone socket on the wall.The phone socket on the modem is left empty.
N/A

Great information - thanks. Just as well the filter isn't necessary - I can't find a plug that will fit in it!

I now owe + an apology - I found the splitter in amongst the polystyrene chips that the modem box was packed in. As it's the same size & colour as a chip I can't believe that they didn't think to put it in an envelope, or box or attach it to the modem box!

Right now ADSL has been down for 6 hrs so I can't experiment to find out what works. I'm not going to be a happy bunny if this is typical of the average standard of service (no access 6 hrs at a time).

> > I installed my A360 USB Modem, & on the reboot the system wouldn't boot. Booting in Safe Mode & Removing Modem Program Suite got it Booting (though all the Start Up Programs such as AV don't install). Reinstalling - same crash. Removed - Boots OK. Any suggestions (I've thought of "Buy a new Computer" for myself).
> >
> > I have PII 233, running W98
>
> Nick, I have just read your last two posts and have had exactly the same problems myself! I have just raised a ticket with support regarding the windows start and shutdown problem. I think it's probably some sort of clash with the modem itself. It looks like this is a new modem they are supplying. I wonder how much experience they have of it. It doesn't give a problem everytime though and I'm connected OK at the moment (will probably have a problem shutting down....)
>
> Regarding the filter/splitters. I was told that the US filter supplied in the modem box is not required. I have successfully connected using the splitter supplied by connecting the phone directly into the phone side of the splitter and connecting the RJ-11 cable between the adsl side of the splitter and the 'line' socket of the modem. The splitter is them plugged into the telephone socket on the wall.The phone socket on the modem is left empty.
>

Community Veteran

>Right now ADSL has been down for 6 hrs so I can't experiment to find out what works. I'm not going to be a happy bunny if this is typical of the average standard of service (no access 6 hrs at a time).

Nick

It has not been down here with me in Heywood so it may be a local problem if you have been unable to connect?

John

N/A

It's still down now after over 12 hours - I know it's them not me cos I was connected & working when it went, & also it came back briefly for a few minutes. The Service section of the Portal indicates there is a problem, & suggests the solution below. I haven't had a chance to reboot & reconnect yet, but it's my next step.

--------------------------------------------------
Further to the information previously provided, we have received reports from some customers who are still having difficulty connecting, or in transferring data once connected, following the resolution of today's outage.

Such customers may find that correct service is restored by rebooting their equipment, connecting for a few minutes using the username:

bt_test@startup_domain
(no password required)

and then reconnecting with their own account details.

>
>
> >Right now ADSL has been down for 6 hrs so I can't experiment to find out what works. I'm not going to be a happy bunny if this is typical of the average standard of service (no access 6 hrs at a time).
>
>
> Nick
>
> It has not been down here with me in Heywood so it may be a local problem if you have been unable to connect?
>
> John
>
>

Community Veteran

> It's still down now after over 12 hours - I know it's them not me cos I was connected & working when it went, & also it came back briefly for a few minutes. The Service section of the Portal indicates there is a problem, & suggests the solution below. I haven't had a chance to reboot & reconnect yet, but it's my next step.
>
> --------------------------------------------------
> Further to the information previously provided, we have received reports from some customers who are still having difficulty connecting, or in transferring data once connected, following the resolution of today's outage.
>
> Such customers may find that correct service is restored by rebooting their equipment, connecting for a few minutes using the username:
>
> bt_test@startup_domain
> (no password required)
>
> and then reconnecting with their own account details.
>
>
>
>
>
>
> >
> >
> > >Right now ADSL has been down for 6 hrs so I can't experiment to find out what works. I'm not going to be a happy bunny if this is typical of the average standard of service (no access 6 hrs at a time).
> >
> >
> > Nick
> >
> > It has not been down here with me in Heywood so it may be a local problem if you have been unable to connect?
> >
> > John
> >
> >
>
>

Nick

That info on the service status is from 13th so everything should be back to normal by now?
The planned upgrade to the Radius servers has been put back until Thursday so that should not have affected you.

I know it's of no consolation to you but my connection has been solid.
Not familliar with the ADSL modem you are using there but does it give you any indications as to state of line etc or ip address recieved from plus?
If it tells you that it has received your static ip then you have got through to plus but are not able to send / rec data?

John

N/A

> I installed my A360 USB Modem, & on the reboot the system wouldn't boot. Booting in Safe Mode & Removing Modem Program Suite got it Booting (though all the Start Up Programs such as AV don't install). Reinstalling - same crash. Removed - Boots OK. Any suggestions (I've thought of "Buy a new Computer" for myself).
>
> I have PII 233, running W98

I had a similar problem after installing some new hardware with W98 on a Pii 233, a couple of years ago now. I went through all the microsoft patches etc with no joy, I eventually solved my problem by luck.

I turned down the graphics display acceleration & also the readahead optimisation for the CDrom drive and the hard disk (control panel->system->performance->Graphics and then File system.

From memory it was the graphics aspect that solved it for me. I guess all the additional hardware and tasking was just too much for the P11. Worth a try for you anyway!!
N/A

I've found what the problem is! The splitter they sent is duff. I have an RJ11/45 cable & it works fine if I use that to plug the modem into the phone socket. The trouble is that I can't take phone calls, while the ADSL is plugged in & if I plug a socket doubler in, as soon as I plug any phone into it, the ADSL line is dropped. The filter that comes with the modem won't fit RJ45 (UK) phone sockets.
--
Kind Regards

Nick