cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could it be the heat?

geoffers
Grafter

Could it be the heat?

Having suffered terrible connections over the past few week, normal British summertime has returned - cool, grey & raining.

Guess what >>> today my Router has synched at around 5000Kbps with a SNR of 7 and only 2 disconnects. (Now just need to get my BRAS reset as I get low data rates on the speedTest).

Could it be the recent hot weather which has upset the phone infrastructure?

(I've probably spoken too soon Wink - I expect it'll be up to its old tricks tomorrow)
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Could it be the heat?

If you have miles of overhead cable then yes the heat could affect it considerably.
Most people nowadays only have a single span to the distribution pole and from there it runs undergound to the exchange.
The temperature of the cable underground only varies by a degree or so throughout the year so temperature has less effect.

Lets hope that your connection stays stable. Smiley
shellsong
Grafter

Could it be the heat?

Mind you underground cables are more subject to water ingress-- particularly after a nice downpour! Wink
Alecto
Grafter

Could it be the heat?

And don't forget the rats. :lol:
shellsong
Grafter

Could it be the heat?

Be thankful you're not in the States-- I understand prairie dogs will chew through just about anything! Tongue
geoffers
Grafter

off topic

we'll - since this thread has gone right off topic....-

If you park in the backcountry in North America/Canada, you are advised to wrap chicken wire round the underside of the car otherwise porcupines will eat your brake-hoses.

I had to admit defeat & retreat from visiting the Franz Josef glacier in New Zealand, as my hired motorcycle (as well as adjacent cars' windscreen wipers, trim etc) was being systematically stripped by the resident Kea parrot population :roll:
shellsong
Grafter

Could it be the heat?

:lol: