cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost of a new line?

N/A

Cost of a new line?

recently got my free upgrade of "up to 2mb" but my speeds are always around
1000-1200, i did all the speed tests and the best i got on th bt speedtester was
1483 at 01:06am, raised a ticket and after a few replies PN conclude that I need a new line. they will not raise it with BT as my speeds are over 400 which
is deemed acceptable for a 2mb line.
so does anybody know how much it would cost me to get BT to replace the line from the pole to my master socket ? (about 50 yards)
11 REPLIES
kathie1101
Grafter

Cost of a new line?

Probably about £140 Sad (Providing the engineer gets it done in under an hour)

We had BT out recently and they had to replace the line. Cost £65 & VAT call out charge (which they never told us about and is now being disputed) and then it's £55 & VAT an hour for the engineer.

Kathie
Community Veteran

Cost of a new line?

I hate BT, but I would not want to switch from PN to cable catch 22 I guess ;-(
N/A

Cost of a new line?

Gulp ! 140 smackers is far too much for me at the moment.

but since i rent the line from them are they not obliged to give me the best line available ?? or not ? :?

tom
janitor
Grafter

Cost of a new line?

I believe all they are obliged to do is give you a line that gives a good service for voice.
Community Veteran

Cost of a new line?

As far as I know that is right, butI know very little about BT
Community Veteran

Cost of a new line?

No, they are not obliged to replace the line for you Im afraid, nor are they obliged to provide any ADSL service on your line.

Replacing that section of the line might make no difference, the fault could lie anywhere between your home and the exchange.

Chris
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Cost of a new line?

For £74.99 you could get a new line installed. That would give you a new number. Don't know how much it would cost to transfer you number over and cancel your other line though.

ADSL would need to be ceased and re-provided on the new line as well, which could cost.

Phil
N/A

Cost of a new line?

What you need is a fault on your line (pref at the point it enters the house - somethingling some rusty wires!).

I had that problem and when the enigineer visited he fitted me a new line (physically).
N/A

Cost of a new line?

thanks all,

hmmm Wink with all the rain up here a line could easily perish and rust. Wink

is there a way to test my line before its replaced, to see if the fault is between my house and the pole ?
Community Veteran

Cost of a new line?

Not really. BT can do so with thier equipment and can test from the top of the poll (or man hole cover for that matter), they wont come out without an actual fault and if they dont find one they will bill you.

If you did do anything to purposfully damage the line and you did get caught they would prosecute you, its just the same as if you vandelised a phone box.

Chris
N/A

Cost of a new line?

thanks Chris,

naturally I wouldn't dream of doing such a thing.

thanks Tom