cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost Confusion

jabb0
Grafter

Cost Confusion

I was going through the process to upgrade tfrom Dial-up to Broadband. And am surprised at the complexity and cost of it all.

I wanted to have all the equipment and stuff ready to go when BT (Finally) switch broadband on in my area.

1) The infomatin which i have read suggests that even with this service enabled i still may not be able to recieve broadband, in the case that the telephone wires and stuff are not of the correct type... I will then have to wait for BT to come to my place and sort this.

2) I have to pay a £70 activation fee to plusnet - why?

3) I then have to pay BT (seperatly) £50 - why?

4) I also will have to pay another £15 to plusnet for changing my contract?

Go on... add this up, it comes to a very nasty sting in the tail which is niclely placed in small print.

Looks like i could be stuck on Dial-up for quite a while yet, if i have got al of the above right? Please tell me i am soooooooo WRONG about all this!!! If not i fear that there wil be some pretty big penguins stealing alot more than my sanity!!!

PS: Ya might aswell throw in the PCI Modem at £35 (Was hoping for a router and some nice wireless kit... looks like that is well out of the window now... man i am gettin depressed over this Sad :shock: :? :x Shockedops: Cry :?: :?: :?:
5 REPLIES
jabb0
Grafter

Cost Confusion

I know someone is gonna tell me to go an raise a ticket, man i did, told they would be 10hours before they reply, ahem, that was last thurday.

Hopefully there is some dude from plusnet gonna read this... if so
Hey mate, get ur finger out, this discussion board provides better customer support that your Customer Support Dept!!!

Other than this plusnet WAS great, but i am starting to loose faith!!!
Community Veteran

Cost Confusion

1) BT will now try to get at least a 512K connection to any premises in the UK and will change master sockets, external wiring etc to acheove this.

2) for a monthly contract yes, it's £58.75 if you opt for an annual contract. Of that £50+VAT is the fee that BT charge PlusNet for ADSL activations.

3) No idea, who said that and what was it for? Even if you have an old master socket, this is upgraded free of charge. If you have ISDN on the line then BT charge £50 to have it removed. None of this has anything to do with PlusNet. If it is necessry for BT to visit, this would be the case for any ISP.

4) Not sure about this. I was not aware an additional charge was levied to switch from dialup to ADSL. Did PlusNet state what it was for? Have you queried it as I don't think it is correct. Are you sure this is not your first monthly fee - what product did you sign up for?

So out of the above, BT actually get £120 and PlusNet gets £15 (assuming 4 it correct which I don't think it is) + £11.75 (for the monthly activation difference: 70 - 58.75) = £26.25. So who's fault do you think it is it costs so much?
jabb0
Grafter

Cost Confusion

This is one occassion on which i am MORE than happy to be proved wrong.

I was pretty sure i was wrong about no.3) and as for no 4) I read something about this but had no idea at all...so i am sure u can appreciate that i didnt want to hit a submit button when i wasnt sure what size of bill was gonna come through the door

Now if i wait till bt switch my area on, can plusnet do all the nesecary checks/tests to ensure i am not paying for something I cannot use because the BT equipment (lines - sockets -etc) i have are not up to scratch?

Also i dont really have much of a clue as to how much bandwidth i will need/want or use (i have seen the guide plusnet have online as to bandwidth usage, still not really much the wiser) therefore i would like the option to change contract (i think this is where #4 kicks in)... would i have to wait a year before i could change my package on an annual contract?
Community Veteran

Cost Confusion

So, what you posted was what you think it will cost, not what you have been told it will cost?

If that's the case why not go through the upgrade process on your account and it will actually tell you what the cost will be - you don't have to accept it, just do it to find the cost to you. And i'm pretty sure item 3 & 4 will not apply and your only other cost is your monthly fee for whatever product you select.

The only way to find out if you can get ADSL is to submit an order to PlusNet. If it fails you get all your money back.

You can change your contract mid-contract but a fee may be chargable depending on what you want to change to.
jabb0
Grafter

Cost Confusion

yeah man,

sorry if i wasted your time - but i dont like pushing money-costing-buttons willy-nilly!!!

Points noted, help greatly apreciated, no longer depressed!!!