cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract

N/A

Contract

Hi All

I joined PN 12 months ago to the "Up to 2Meg" Plus.
I requested my MAC because I was fixed at 1Meg and told by PN that the line was pushed to the limit.
The ticket dance is quite a long one.
The reply when I asked for my MAC code was they will supply it after I paid them £57 or more for the deferred costs.
They have not supplied their side of the contract and I have to obey my side of the contract.
How long do I have to stay with them to reduce those costs?
35 REPLIES
N/A

Contract

5 years till its totally cleared off.....

Unbelievable but true.. its hidden away in the terms & conditions.. No reputable service provider would have such an obscene contract... but we are dealing with plusnet here..
N/A

Contract

Hi All

Thanks stevi108.

I'm a pensioner and I hope I can live that long.
I am growing old waiting for downloads at present!!
I will leave instructions in my will not to pay the outstanding amount, they might dig me up to go to court.
Maybe they will give me a free transfer to cable!
Community Veteran

Re: Contract

They have not supplied their side of the contract

Sorry I missed it from your summary, how have PlusNet “not supplied their side of the contract”?

If you give us a little more details, it may be easier for us to understand your problem.

If you are upset that you can only get 1M, then the chance that this is caused by poor line stats, which is outside of PlusNet's control.

But there are a few things that you can do to improve them. (In no order)
1)Move your house closer to the telephone exchange, OK, impractical but very effective.
2)Move you router to the BT Master socket.
3)Purchase high quality micro filters, and make sure that all phones are fitted with Micro filters
(Do not forget alarms, fax machines and Sky boxes.)
4)Remove the “ring wire” from you telephone extensions.

Chilly
GersFans
Grafter

Contract

5 years till its totally cleared off.....

Unbelievable but true.. its hidden away in the terms & conditions..

As much as I am disgusted with plusnets service at the moment, I have to disagree with you. It states it in the contract quite clearly, if people dont take the time to read and understand what they are agreeing to then I dont see how the ISP is at fault.

Nothing is free, so always read the small print/t&c..
Liam
Grafter

Contract

Hi Tony,

You're provided on our Upto 8Mb "MaxDSL" product, which will connect at the fastest speed it can (upto 8mb). But due to the length / quality of your line you are being restricted to 1Mb. Unfortunately this isn't something we can change and is one of the reasons our products are described as "Upto".

Sorry about that, but it would be the same whichever ADSL ISP you used.

Hope this helps!
N/A

Contract

Hi All

Thanks to all the "plusnet" team.

Plusnet could have informed me that I would never receive a full service above 1Meg when they did the first line checks when I joined.

In January this year I received a communication:- Excerpts from

Traffic management and the PlusNet network
With 8Mb speeds on the way, the way we manage our network and manage traffic becomes even more important. The full automation of our traffic management should be completed in the next two months, and this will allow us to guarantee you a quality broadband service and ensure that your time-sensitive applications always run at high-speed.

High-speed broadband update

Broadband at up to 8Mb will be sweeping the nation this year and we’ll be giving you access to these higher speeds as soon as they become available to you. That means you’ll get free upgrades to faster speeds, providing your telephone line can support them. We’re also making some exciting changes to our products and pricing based on the arrival of faster speeds, including Broadband Plus up to 8Mb for £14.99 and Broadband Premier up to 8Mb for just £21.99!

2006 promises to be an exciting year, both for PlusNet and for broadband.

On 13th August I asked for an upgrade to 2Meg!

I am still on 1Meg I should have gone to cable.

Surely all contracts should be seen to be fair.
Liam
Grafter

Contract

We have no way of changing or influencing the speed that you connect at.

The way the technology works is that it works out what your maximum speed is at the time you have connected.

As far as contracts are concerned, we have fulfilled our requirements. At no point do we say that you will definitely get 8Mb. Our products are "Upto 8Mb" for this very reason. And the reason the pricing is the same is because the costs to us are the same, whatever speed you get.
N/A

Contract

Hello All

Thank you all for your comments.

I will now save up to pay my £57.60 to get out of jail.

I regret having to leave Plusnet the service I received was good, aside from the speed issue.

The support team have an unenviable job carried out with the odds stacked against them.

All my thanks to them as well.
N/A

Contract

Hello All

Some excerpts from the ODCA regarding unfair contracts:-

Title:

Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts
Description:

An unfair term in a standard consumer contract is a term that is significantly weighted against the consumer. See what protection there is for consumers from unfair terms in contracts.
Date modified:

2006-08-04

Terms that put an unfair burden on the consumer. For example a term states that a deposit will be kept by the supplier of goods or services if the consumer cancels the contract but does not include a term saying that the supplier of goods or services will pay compensation if it does not fulfil its commitments.
N/A

Contract

Erm, and your point?

The deferred fee's are simply fee's that you ought to have paid up front for your connection and hardware. By deferring them, Plusnet have given you an opportunity to reduce or completely eradicate the startup costs associated with your connection.

The choice was there to pay the fee's up front, by waiting till 12 months has been completed, PN have now reduced the fee's for you.

Unfair?

Yes - unfair that people don't read what they are signing and then complain about it and try to make it appear that they are the injured party.

I'm not a fan of everything that PN do by a long way, but I'm afraid that deferred fee's are one of the good things that PN offer. The fact that they offered the option to defer has already saved you 20% of the connection cost. To complain about it now seems a little odd to me.

/end rant.
N/A

Contract

Hello All

Thanks James, the only issue I have with PN is the line speed.

The only reason I am leaving PN is the line speed.

The only alternative I have is to change to cable, the rub is that PN signed me up with that knowlege of the line speed, and I lived on the promise of higher line speeds.

My fault entirely and thanks to Liam and yourself for helping me to make my decision to change, expensive as that is for me.
N/A

Contract

I'm not a fan of everything that PN do by a long way, but I'm afraid that deferred fee's are one of the good things that PN offer. The fact that they offered the option to defer has already saved you 20% of the connection cost. To complain about it now seems a little odd to me.

/end rant.

Name one other reputable isp that has 5year defered fees... 12 to 18 months is the norm.
N/A

Contract

blimey these forum moderators ,are they real people or are they robots.they seem to have the same answer to almost every question posted on here regarding speed. moderators,do you think up the answers or do you just press a button?
Community Veteran

Contract

I have never seen James post that before.

Chilly