Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contention

PhyllisTyne
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Contention

presumably this is a BT issues and not to do with providers? I.e if I encourage all my neighbours to use +Net will that be worse for me than if the use Pipex?
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Contention

Contention is based on the BT prduct that the ISPs use. There are two different contentions availabale - 50:1 and 20:1. As these are decided by BT, which ISP you use won't affect contention.

Thomas
N/A

Contention

i was under the impression that there is contention at the local exchange and at the isp, correct me if im wrong!
N/A

Contention

Yes there is, however you will potentionaly never see the ISP side contention, as the ISP would keep growing at a pace to out-flank it.

PlusNet are continualy introducing new Fat Pipes to cater for the demand and contention. They have several (to my understanding) on pre-order to be introduced, at around the time where the pipes are almost saturated at peak times.

Exhcnage side contention is a set level. We should potentialy never see this contention either, however, because this is a static figure, is where it will most likely be seen in the future.
N/A

Contention

Cheesy
N/A

Contention

Exchange contention is seldom an issue. I've seen speed tests from business users on 20:1 contention, and they don't differ in the slightest from speed tests from domestic users on 50:1.
N/A

Contention

Whilst speeds may no be seen as a issue with contention yet, you may like to look at the performance aspect.

I have to say that I can see a very large performance gain on a 20:1 line ovet the 50:1.
N/A

Contention

Would you care to elaborate what measure of performance you're referring to?
N/A

Contention

Responce times in general of a system.

With a 50:1 product, it is likely to be that pipes are nearing saturation at most times, Whilst this still allows full download speeds to be acheived, the timing of traffic can becaome slightly delayed.

With less lines contended, resources are a little lower, and responce times are greater.

I have to say, when looking on the surface, I don't see much differance, however, some of our database connectivity responce times have shown better completion times.

Better responce times will allow for more traffic to flow. Setting up a connection quickly can make all the differance.
N/A

Contention

I think a lot of this comes down to implementation. I still don't think that contention is currently an issue anywhere on the network. I'm logged into a unix session to a remote site in London at the moment. From there, I'm able to ping my home connection with response times identical to the ping times that I'm seeing for business connections.

I honestly feel that the 50:1/20:1 contention difference is irrelevant at the moment. This may well change in the future, but for now there's really no advantage to a lower contention product.