cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constantly sending a stream of data

N/A

Hi,

Why is it my machine is constantly sending data out over the ADSL connection to Plusnet. I've got Zone Alarm, and Norton AV with the latest definitions so I'm guessing it's not (cue: hopeful viewpoint) a virus. Besides, in ZA, I can padlock the internet access but it doesn't stop. Even when there are no browsers, messenger or anything open for a long time - it still sending a steady stream of ... something?

Andy.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Are you running a mailserver? If so you might be acting as an open relay for spam. Do you also keep your windows updates upto date?

Chris
N/A

No - no mail server. Just simple Outlook Express.

The little blue light on the Accessrunner DSL icon is permanently on.

Ah ha. While writing this I took a look into my active processes I find something called wupdater.exe. I noticed it because it was flashing 2% processor time just occasionally. Killed it and the data stopped. Now it's offline I need to find out what it was...

Anyone heard of it?
N/A

From google results it looks like some form of scumware. I'd recommend using a piece of software such as AdAware or SpyBot S&D. I would say SpyBot is more thorough, but AdAware is easier to use (and potentially less damaging).

Regular Disclaimer: When using either of the above programs, NEVER remove anything which you aren't 100% positive about. Also use the softwares inbuilt "Backup" function, and make sure that if you are using Windows XP, "System Restore" is enabled.
N/A

No - no mail server. Just simple Outlook Express.

The little blue light on the Accessrunner DSL icon is permanently on.

Ah ha. While writing this I took a look into my active processes I find something called wupdater.exe. I noticed it because it was flashing 2% processor time just occasionally. Killed it and the data stopped. Now it's offline I need to find out what it was...

Anyone heard of it?

lop.com toolbar is the thing that uses wupdater.exe and gets installed with a lot of freeware .
N/A

Thanks guys - it's been jetisoned (and the continuous data transmission has halted). I'm kinda curious as to what it's been sending... but I guess there is no way of finding out. I'm always wary of spyware etc. but what what does it actually send?

Andy.
N/A

It soes not really "send",just checks with a server for adverts and then downloads them to a list that can be seen.