cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constantly dropping conection

phyhhe
Grafter

I keep dropping connection and sync and +net have been useless at explaining/fixing the problem. Ok so I'm "technologically challenged" but the following was the reply that didn't really enlighten me, especially as they supplied the filters!

"Woosh result 'Likely metallic bearer fault but could be Line card or CPE', please ensure customer has thoroughly checked all wiring. Line loss also measuring 55.5dB so using better quality filters may alleviate the problem."

Anyone shed some light, do I have a problem that is +net fault and they are fobbing me off?
5 REPLIES
N/A

Err, yes sounds like the reply should have had *INTERNAL* before it!

OK so I'll give translation a go (Any one else feel free to correct any mistakes)

The Whoosh test is a BT test made on your line to obtain a noise level. Your result is on the boarder line for ADSL, hence your connection keeps dropping.

The reasons for this could be:

Poor wiring either in your home (That's for you to check because if BT find it in your home you willbe charged for it!) so moving the modem to the main line box would prove the problem as BT are responsible for the line up to the main box (The first one in the house).

Poor wiring at BT's end either physically or a dodgy line card

Having said all of that (The final part of the message) better quality filters might help the problem (Splitting the line noise from the data signal better).

OK the options/ solutions from your point of view (Sorry if this is too non-techie)

1 Check your wiring in doors. If your computer sits at the end of an extension lead, move it (For the time being to check if this cures the problem - if it does replace the extension)

2 If this makes no difference request (On the ticket you have open) that +Net escalate the issuse with BT. Mention that you have moved the connection to the main box etc.

3 If BT report that this is the best it gets, buy new filters (The ones supplied are not bad but won't be the best available. You might want to try the Solwise ones http://www.solwise.co.uk or look on www.adslguide.org.uk under hardware for other manufacturers) and hope Smiley

Sorry this is so long Shockedops:
phyhhe
Grafter

Thanks for your reply in English! Adsl modem is connected directly to main socket and nothing else shares socket as line purely for computer. I've now told +net this and am awaiting their wisdom.
N/A

No problem, straight in to the master socket is the neatest and should give the best performance. Up to BT now. Good luck
N/A

He is not on the limit Cry

55db is the max before ADSL is activated
59db is the max after ADSL is enabled (Woosh test)

If you read adslguide.org.uk you will see from Mr Saffron that this is the case.
N/A

He is not on the limit Cry

55db is the max before ADSL is activated
59db is the max after ADSL is enabled (Woosh test)

If you read adslguide.org.uk you will see from Mr Saffron that this is the case.

Fair point, I had forgotten he was enabled Shockedops: however obviously recently * he adds trying to get out of the hole
The problem is still a line noise one and the rest of my comments are still valid (IMHO Tongue )