cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant cut offs?

gregd
Grafter

Constant cut offs?

Is it just me or do there appear to be constant cut offs this morning? I got up and I haven't been able to maintain a stable connection for more than about 10 minutes. I then get connection reset by peer on the likes of mIRC/FTP.

Then I either have to reboot the router or wait for it to come back up yet ADSL dial status says its still up, I noticed it went down last night so I assumed the cut off was normal. But now it seems to be every 10 mins or so.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Constant cut offs?

For mirc peering is normal depending on the network your using. If quakenet ETG etc then it happens when your on a bad local server or if when joining your load balanced to a minor server with a poor connection.

Also you do know about the mirc expliot affecting version 6 - 6.11?
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
gregd
Grafter

Constant cut offs?

Ive used mIRC for about 7yrs so I know that it can be the server Smiley

It seems to be fine again and I have heard about the mIRC exploit but haven't had a chance to upgrade yet.

is p2p not allowed on ADSL Home worker 2000? Since it happened when I left winmx on.
N/A

Constant cut offs?

Ah, now we are cooking.

P2P is allowed on the Home Worker packages. It is only the Home surf packages it isn't allowed on (and BizSurf).

One of the things about P2P application si that they suck up all memory and CPU of routers and connection devices very easily.

P2P applications operate by using multiple connections to various sources to speed up the download process.

For each one of these connections, more memory and CPU is needed to do the various NAT converisons and other processing.

This can eventualy lead to one or two of these connectiosn becoming unstable as the router is not able to dedicate enough time to process each one.

There is little you can do except limiting what each P2P connection is allowed to use.