cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering upgrade to 1MB

N/A

Hi,

I'm considering an upgrade to a 1MB ADSL connection, but I know I'm far from my local exchange and this issue was raised when I signed up for a 512 connection.

I got the line and noise figures off my router, they are below. The downstream line attenuation, seems to vary quite a bit from about 39 - 51 .

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 576 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 51 db 30 db
Noise Margin 19 db 29 db

I don't want to apply for the upgrade, if I know it's going to be rejected.
Thanks in advance for any info.

Aaron
16 REPLIES
N/A

At 51dB for the Downstream attuation. You are above the current threshold for 1Mb DSL
N/A

Oh well, I'll just have to stick with 512 until I move address, sometimes in the future Cry

What is the threshold for 1MB?
Community Veteran

45dB with equipment connected, 41dB with nothing connected.
N/A

it's normally around 42 with equipment connected. Not sure why it's so high today.

I'll keep an eye on it, now I know what sort of level it should be.

Thanks for the help :-)
N/A

Turned down for 1mb upgrade

Hi,

Sorry for butting in, but I was recently turned down for a 1 mb line (too far from exchange).

Is anyone able to tell me:

a) What are the distance limits.

b) Is it a strict physical distance thing, or is it a theoretical calculation of attenuation and noise based on distance?.

c) Can a physical check be done on a line bordering on the given distance, and if passes noise tests etc, can an upgrade be made?.

d) I have a DG814 router and no functionality to measure noise/attenuation, is there software, a program or function under XP that can do this?

e) Can +Net order / carry out the test for me, if so how do I go about it, or would they have done this anyway when I ordered a 1mb upgrade?

f) Any relaxations to these distance specs in the near future?

There's a lot of questions there I know, but surely one of you guys / gals have the answers.

Many Ta's
the_norris
Grafter

Hi Sekan

I will try to answer most questions here:

a) 3.5Km for ADSL - 512K, 1meg 2meg etc.
3.5Km to 6 Km RASDL (Rate adabtive DSL) 512Km down but Up can between 64K to the standard 256K - Parts Upsteam signal is used to keep the Down at 512K. So longer the line, slower the upspeed. See http://www.adslguide.org/qanda.asp?faq=radsl

b)
The distance is not the important factor - the above is only estimate line lenghts. (All cabling has signal lose - so disatance is calculated from this) Also joints/junctions etc in the route from the exchange to your house will add signal lose.

c) Yes - Raise a Contact Us ticket requesting a WHOOH Test. (I've had one done my self - Can't get 1Meg here Sad Line lose = 47db BTW its Free. and you will need to have your ADSL device on - eg router on. Try not to use it. Normally test done same day as ticket..

d) Sorry, cant answer that. Not got that router.

e) see answer C)

f) There are rumors that the 1Meg will be reviewed. But it may depend on the trials at Mitlon Keynes.

Hope that helps

Phil
N/A

1mb reject

Many thanks Phil,

Sums it all up nicely, but the bottom line is that I'm still stuck in the 'Broadband' slow lane.

I know this may not be the right place to ask this, but would I be able to receive 1mb from the likes of Bulldog. I live in London and my exchange has been unbundled, do the same distance criteria apply?
N/A

Unbundled exchanges may have different limits, but only from those providers on that exchange.

I would take a look at the Bulldog forum on ADSL guide first. There are reports that even unbundled exchanges do not give a high quality service, which should be better than DataStream.

DataStream and IPStream are BT product, thsu supplied on the BT limits. Where an exchange is unbundled, they use there own equipment and pick there own limits.

However, that does not always mean the limits are different.
LiamM
Grafter

Sekan, do you have the latest NetGear firmware for your router?

I recently updaded the firmware for my Netgear DG834G and they had included a section detailing Line Attenuation etc...

Hope This Helps
N/A

martinfamily, sekan has a DG814 which is different from your DG834G. The DG814 is the earlier version of the DG834 (G being the wireless version of the same router).

firmware version 10, the latest version for the DG814 does not provide any additional information such as line noise/attenuation etc.

I'm not aware of any software that can provide this information via a router, since the router is self contained with it's own software (firmware). The DG814 doesn't provide any sort of syslog info either.

As for the 1MB being reviewed, if it is, then I hope so soon.
LiamM
Grafter

Ah fair enough. Just thought that if Netgear had implemented it into the firmware of my router then they might have done the same with others.

What is the Line attenuation minimums for 2Mbit by the way?
N/A

The same margins as those used for 1Mb. 41dB on a non-activated line and 45dB on a line in-sync.
N/A

Phil,

How come so much allowance is given to 512, but not 1MB ?

Cheers,

Aaron
N/A

512Kb uses a 60dB limit, but in some cases, will be activated over this and other, will not enable when under.

In many cases, paper based calculations can be final, whereas special BT test equipment is used instead.

There are reports of lines syncing upto 72dB, through the MK extended reach trials underway (these trials still have a bit to go yet).