cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connections to nonstandard ports

N/A

I have recently noticed that connection to (at least some) nonstandard ports are just not honored or, if they are, the resulting connection is so slow as to be unusable. Case in point: I have a number of remote boxes behind the same IP address (using IP forwarding) and the same router. One of them is listening for SSH connections on port 22 (the standard one) whereas the others use other port numbers. If attempting to connect from a machine using PlusNet as its provider, the SSH connections to the machines listening on nonstandard ports fail or run unbearably slowly, whereas connecting to port 22 is fine.

Anybody know what is going on? Since I am not using the PlusNet firewall facility, the only think I can think of is that PlusNet is either blocking those ports or giving traffic through them such a low preference that they become unusable.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Do you have your broadband firewall enabled - this can be found via connection settings on the left. On some accounts this is turned on by default so try turning it off and see if your non-standard ports work.

Its possible as you are using an encrypted connected that they are being treated as P2P traffic which does have severe limits imposed at certain times, which may explain why it runs slowly on some ports.

Also check any firewalls on the destination systems, just enabling port forwarding will only work if the firewalls also allow the connection through.
N/A

If we knew the port it may give us a clue as some ports are know to be used by virus etc and if you have picked one of these that could be the problem.
N/A

Do you have your broadband firewall enabled - this can be found via connection settings on the left. On some accounts this is turned on by default so try turning it off and see if your non-standard ports work.

Its possible as you are using an encrypted connected that they are being treated as P2P traffic which does have severe limits imposed at certain times, which may explain why it runs slowly on some ports.

Also check any firewalls on the destination systems, just enabling port forwarding will only work if the firewalls also allow the connection through.

My firewall is turned off. The connections are of course encrypted - they are SSH connections. The only difference between them is that the one that works fine uses port 22 (the standard SSH port) whereas the ones that work poorly, if at all, uses nonstandard ports.
N/A

If we knew the port it may give us a clue as some ports are know to be used by virus etc and if you have picked one of these that could be the problem.

I am using several ports: 22, 322, 323 and 324, for SSH connections; 6200 for VPN. Connections to all these ports work fine from a machine not hosted by PlusNet. From a machine hosted by PlusNet, only connection to port 22 work fine; the others, if they succeed at all, most of the time they are horrendously slow. Notice that sometimes (like now, Saturday morning) they work fine. That's what makes me think that PlusNet is is giving them a hard time (because they use nonstandard ports and/or they are encrypted) most of the day.
Community Veteran

What account type are you on?

It sounds like your non-standard post ssh connections are being "traffic managed"

Unfortunately ssh is one way of hiding P2P traffic, and PlusNet's systems are cleaver enough to know that.

Chilly
N/A

What account type are you on?

The only thing I know is that it is called PlusNet Broadband Plus

It sounds like your non-standard post ssh connections are being "traffic managed"

You mean traffic mangled - it's well-nigh impossible to get anything done on those ports most of the time.

Unfortunately ssh is one way of hiding P2P traffic, and PlusNet's systems are cleaver enough to know that.
Chilly

Maybe not that clever. The algorithm seems to be a brute force one: Traffic on nonstandard ports that seems to be encrypted is, for all practical purposes, proscribed.
Community Veteran

Broadband Plus

That will be part of your problems as its has very low priority for P2P traffic.

And the majority of encrypted traffic on non standards port will be P2P trying to circumvent traffic management. So yours gets tarred with the same brush.

Chilly