cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection stops working but router showing all ok...

N/A

I've got a BT Voyager through PN and all has been ok until recently. Now I am having problems with Outlook Express not working on start up as fast as it use to and if I leave the computer for a long while I can't connect to the internet. Whichever browser I use nothing happens. Router is working ok...the lights are on, but no ones home! To get it working again I have to shut down the computer and do a restart. Real pain. Thinking of doing a re install either of the router or a complete computer reinstall. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks
9 REPLIES
N/A

Update the router with the latest firmware. Also a reboot might solve the problem. I had to reboot mine yesterday because I no longer was able to download from Plusnet usegroup but could surf the net and receive/send emails as normal. The reboot fixed it all....
N/A

Stale Session Ivan

Hello andyfran,

I am pretty confident that what you are experiecing is what is called a STALE ADSL session. This can to any broadband user (router or modem). No! theres nothing wrong with your router or computer either. The best way to solve this problem is to take down your connection for 30mins (physically disconnect from the phone line the router or modem). This down time of 30mins results in forcing the line card at your BT exchange to reset itself, and as a result you will get a fresh ADSL session.

**The symptoms you describe are classic stale ADSL session symptoms, give my suggestion a try and see if that solves it for you, it should do if I'm right.

Best Regards Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!
N/A

Hi
Thanks for your replies. Glad to hear that this is not something just happening with my computer.

I have only been switching on the router when booting up the computer and switching it off when shutting down. If I switch the router off whilst the computer is on then switch it back on again later I still can't get it to work, seems only rebooting does the trick. Could this still be a stale session? Thanks Andie
N/A

Order of Booting & Shut down, Ivan

Hi Andie,

Not sure if this IS a stale session it just sounds more like a router talking to PC problem. I suggest that you 1) switch on or boot the router first 2) then the PC. See if that makes a difference?

Ivan
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
N/A

Hi Ivan
I thought for a little while the problem was solved. I was careful to switch on the router a little while before booting up the pc and all was ok until tonight. I managed to get it working again after connecting to dial up for a while. Very strange.
N/A

Replying Again Ivan

Hi,

Have you tried leaving the router & PC connected 24/7 this is more in keeping with the way they are designed. In business's routers are left on 24/7 for literally years with the once in a blue moon reset.

**PS: Its quite safe to leave PC & Router switched on 24/7, my own machine has been running perfectly for the last 4-5 years. I rarely take it down for any length of time ( I run my XP machine more like a server than a PC), it gets the occational reboot but thats exceptional.

Ivan
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
N/A

Hi Ivan

I have left my computer on all the time in the past. Only switch everything off now to try to be more environment friendly! The problem with the connection happens if the computer and router are left on for a long time without me using it. I've just found on another website where people with the same computer as me (Medion) are also having the same problem. Someone there suggested it could be a windows update causing the problem as it's only just recently started happening in the last couple of weeks. If it was an update there was another one today maybe that will correct it. Someone else suggested disabling dns client helped them...whatever that is!
N/A

Hi,
I am looking forward to your results as I have the same problem with my parents PC.
The connection just goes off after about 5-15 mins and PC has to be rebooted.
Every time it also deletes the login info from the connection box, and so it has to be retyped. Does yours do this?
Regards
Ian
N/A

XP SP2 possible source of the problem/s Ivan

Hello andyfran,

I've just come over here after reading another PN forum posting and this problem of yours sounds very similar to a posting I've read else where this morning on PN.

Have you installed Windows XP Service Pack 2?Huh as this might well be the source of your problem. I read in the other posting that in XP SP2 microsoft have rewitten the TCP stack so as to limit the number of open sockets (required for connections always on like broadband) to just 12 as a way to limit P2P (why I dont know myself?). This means that if your machine is left connected for any length of time you could run out of available sockets and so connections fail! Humm I'm not sure about this but SP2 could be a part of your problem this much could be true, its worth doing more research or digging on SP2 too see if this might be the problem.

Ivan
F9 FOL Forum Moderator