cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection speed

oakenholt

Connection speed

Could someone please explain to me how my sync speed in connection settings can be 500kbps, my latest bandwidth speed test result was 130 kbps but my router adsl line status is showing a downstream line rate of 5120 kbps. I have like many people using this forum only started having problems since swapping over to maxdsl, I have raised a ticket but no fault was found. Thanks in advance. Mark.
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Connection speed

Until a rep comes along with an actual report the reason is probably that at some time in the last couple of days your router must have lost synch and reconnected at less than 1000kbps.
If you can access your router logs does this give any information.
If, like me you had major thunderstorms this can really affect your connection.
However - a drop of that magnitude indicates that something may have gone badly wrong - like an unfiltered phone connection (or Sky box) was used.
If you can check over the next few days and it doesn't lose suynch again everything should recover.
I would suggest you go to this site and run the speedtest and advise the results http://speedtester.bt.com/
Community Veteran

Connection speed

The figure under connection settings is not your sync speed but your data throughput rate or IP profile rate that BT control.

The fact that it is 500 and you sync at a higher rate means your router must have synced at a lower rate in the last few days which BT detected and adjusted your data rate accordingly. If you stay synced at 5K then the data rate figure should increase to match it over the next 3 -> 5 days.

This is how BT's Max system works. Any reduction in sync speed is detected within 75 mins and your profile rate adjusted. It then takes 3 -> 5 days for it to return to normal after syncing at a higher rate.
N/A

Connection speed

Its the most stupid idea and a pain in the backside. We had a line fault and our profile dropped down due to a few dropped connections. Bt took 3 days to fix the problem. Its fine now but you have to wait for the profile to come back up.

The ip profile as I understand its limits your download. so you may connect at 8 meg but if your ip profile is 1 meg you cant get more than a meg as thats all BT have allocated to your connection
oakenholt

Connection speed

Thanks for the info, you were right about sky Jim I did have it unfiltered but sorted that last week. Since then my adsl line status has been between 256 and 500kbps, unplugged my modem today for half an hour and when re-connecting got 5120 on my line status. Tried the speedtester earlier but was getting error messages......will monitor for the next few days with fingers crossed
James
Grafter

Connection speed

I think it’s a sensible starting point to set out clear expectations when dealing with speed issues. The first and most fundamental point is that upto 8Mbps means just that. It is not guaranteed. Broadband is extremely dependant on your distance from your local telephone exchange. This is true for signal issues and in extreme cases may result in receiving a Broadband service impossible. Maximum obtainable speeds are dependant on this also. The further you are from the exchange, the poorer quality a Broadband signal you will be able to receive from said exchange. The better the quality of signal, the greater will be the maximum expected throughput speeds, although this also depends on how “busy” your local exchange is, but that’s another issue we can delve into later.

One of the most useful tools available to our customers is the BT Speedtester, which gives a reasonable amount of information about the limitations applied to the Broadband connection from a speed perspective. It is still somewhat in its infancy so can be a little unreliable at busy times of the day.

You are presented with four main pieces of information. Your upstream and downstream synchronisation speeds (this is the speed at which your modem or router is connecting with the BT Exchange), your IP Profile and your actual throughput speed as recorded by the test. For the majority of speed faults, the upstream synchronisation speed can practically be ignored, unless it reports speeds significantly below 448Kbps. The IP Profile is the speed at which BT have restricted your connection to, as they believe that this is the fastest speed that you can receive whilst also receiving a stable connection. The IP Profile is the maximum speed that you will be able to get in a speed test.

The downstream synchronisation speed is extremely important. This is the speed at which BT use to calculate your IP Profile. We have a table on our website which shows you’re the relevant synchronisation speeds versus the appropriate IP Profile speeds, which you can find here. You can also see your current profiled speed on our network, which is designed to mirror BTs IP Profile and is updated twice a day. See this here.

Unfortunately the IP Profile is not updated on a real time basis. BT take your lowest downstream synchronisation speed (hence the importance of this as I mentioned earlier) over a three day period and then assign the appropriate IP Profile. Here’s where the problems can occur. Downstream line synchronisation can and does fluctuate.

There are various factors that can cause line synchronisation to drop and fluctuate. Most commonly these factors can relate to faulty filtering, a suspect modem or router or poor internal wiring. The best setup for any Broadband connection is always to have your modem or router connected into a filter and then for your filter to be connected to your master socket, which is normally the first socket into your house from your road. It is also imperative that every used phone socket in your house has a filter attached, whether it is used or not, as failure to do this can cause interference between the analogue (normal voice phone) and digital (Broadband) signals. There are also additional factors that can come into play such as poor weather, exchange and line related problems and even things like street lights, central heating and Christmas lights!

If your modem or router does drop synchronisation and it regains synchronisation at a lower level, then BT will change your IP Profile speed to reflect this change in reported synchronisation speed within 75 minutes. In extreme cases, this can cause the IP Profile to be set as low as 135Kbps when a resynchronisation event equal to or lower than 160Kbps happens. This does happen to the best of us, including myself, who lives on the same street as his exchange! BT do have in place something they refer to as “Blip Logic”, which is supposed to mean that they will only force a change in profile speed should there be two resynchronisation events lower than the current profiled speed. Unfortunately, this does not always seem to be the case. So, as you can imagine, it is always fundamentally important to ensure that you setup ensures the highest level of signal, by connecting to your master socket (also known as the NTE5) as I outlined earlier. This will result in any potential resynchronisation events being less likely, thus increasing the chances of maintaining a sustained speed at the highest possible level.

(Taken from here.)
oakenholt

Connection speed

Hi James, thanks for the info. It's starting to make a bit more sense now, except for the bit where Bt drop your speed after 75 minutes but take 3-5 days to increase it !. Can I take it that if my modem does not drop its sync in the next 3 days Bt will increase my speed to something like 4.5 meg if my downstream connection stays at 5120 kbps.
Regards.
Mark.
James
Grafter

Connection speed

Mark,

You can do indeed. It's probably the biggest flaw in the Max system in my opinion.
Chuck

Connection speed

It would be interesting to know how much power is being wasted nationally by always-on routers.

To save power, I would like to switch my router off at night. Will this adversely affect my line profile?

Thanks

Charles
Community Veteran

Connection speed

Will this adversely affect my line profile?

No, but it will mean less bubbly at the shareholder meeting for your electric company.
Will someone please think of the shareholders Cheesy

Chilly
Teds31
Grafter

master socket

When I have had problems in the past I am told to connect directly into the master BT socket,how is this posible,am I the only person with a major piece of PC equipment,does everyone else have laptops,how can I get my PC to the master socket Huh?Huh
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 159

Connection speed

This is the advantage of using a router. You can have the router plugged into the master socket and then run the network from there, either wired or wireless.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
dennisb66
Grafter

Connection speed

Hi Garford,
I had a similar problem but after advice on the forums I connected my Netgear Wireless router direct to the master BT socket(which is under the stairs) and fitted a Netgear wireless PC card into my computer.Problem solved and faster speeds. :lol:
Teds31
Grafter

BBYW

Thanks Chris also Dennis one silver surfer to another :lol:
oakenholt

Connection speed

Thought I had cracked this connection speed after resyncing 2 days ago at 5120 kbps, then waited for Bt to increase my speed. Today had to reconnect my modem but downstream line rate stayed at 5120, checked my connection on plusnets connection page and this showed 4500 kbps which had gone up from 500 2 days ago..happy days. Tonight I tried the Bt speedtester and got these figures, IP profile for your line is - 4500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 5120 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 4208 kbps.
Still no problem, then I tried plusnets speed test and got these figures. Your current speed is: 2.34 mbps
Which means you can download at 299.89 KB/sec. from our servers.
Is it just me or do these numbers not add up.