cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection speed

N/A

Connection speed

Would be obliged if someone could explain the different download speeds I seem to be expiencing. Plusnet says up to 8Mb, my binatone modem says I'm connected at 5.7Mb (this varies) and when I do the plusnet speed test the maximum speed I have had so far is 3.7Mbps. Is this normal. If not what can I do to get maximum download speed.
many thanks
Sandy Merry
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Connection speed

Your line quality will determin the maximum speed you can have and the further you are away from the exchange, the less of the ADSL signal you have left when it reaches you.

With MaxDSL, the exchange tries to find the maximum stable rate your line will support each time you connect. During the 10 day trialling period you will get different sync speeds but it should stablise once the testing is over.

Many people are reporting a difference between sync speed and actual throughput speed and this is usually down to limits imposed by BT.

There is nothing you can do really, you just have to hope the exchange gives you a good overall speed once the testing is completed.
N/A

Connection speed

I was easily getting a stable 240kb/s when doenloading with my PN 2mb but when i download now I am yet to get a speed greater than 60kb/s tried different sites, servers etc my sync ranges from 5400 - 6800 roughly. Speed tests say im getting between 200kbps & 1.4mbps which is worse than a stable 2mb!

This also applies to the 2 8mb connections with eclipse i have at work. Any explanation?