cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection problems

N/A

Connection problems

Hopefully someone can help me.

I have had a sky+ tv system for a few years now that has to be connected to the phone line.

Probably, 4 months ago i upgraded my plusnet broadband from 512 to 1meg connection.

Around this time i started to encounter connection problems, where i was constantly being dropped off, and was experiencing really slow speeds (less than 33bps).

I went through the process of raising a ticket with plusnet, thinking it was an issue their end. I eventually found that if i disconnected my sky+ then all was OK with my internet speeds and connection was permantly on. Therefore, i presumed my telephone extension cable to the sky+ was faulty.

Last week i received a polite letter from sky reminding me that i must reconnect my sky+ system to my phone line (to meet my T+C, as i recently subscribed to multi-room). I purchased a new telephone extension cable and plugged my sky+ back into my BT line.

However, i am now experiencing exactly the same problems as before, therefore there must be an issue with my sky+ box and the BT line.

The only difference, from the past 18 months or so, is that i have increased my broadband speed from 512 to 1meg.

Can anyone help me on this, as i need to have my sky+ plugged in to my phone, or they are going to chase me !!!

Thank you in advance for any help recieved.

Regards
Andy
5 REPLIES
chymorva
Grafter

Connection problems

Try replacing your filter for your Sky connection. Sometimes cheap filters work OK for 512k connections but cause problems at higher sync speeds. I needed to replace my filter when I upgraded from 1MB to 2MB.
N/A

Connection problems

Yes, of course.....thats my problem...i have not had it connected through a filter.....its gone direct to my phone point !!!

Thank you.

On another point. I am currently on the 1meg connection that costs me £29.99 per month. I have been reading that you can get 2meg connection cheaper....is this true.....and if so are there any limitations on useage for this speed ?

Again, thankyou in advacne for any help given.

Andy
LiamM
Grafter

Connection problems

Sky very helpfully wired my Sky+ box into my phone socket. I had to rewire it myself when my ADSL was enabled.

That is what is causing the problem. It needs to be filtered.
chymorva
Grafter

Connection problems

On another point. I am currently on the 1meg connection that costs me £29.99 per month. I have been reading that you can get 2meg connection cheaper....is this true.....and if so are there any limitations on useage for this speed ?

See here for present BB products. In a nutshell:

PAYG - £14.99 for up to 1GB/month (£1 or £1.25 per each extra GB after that) at highest speed available (currently 2MB)

PLUS - £14.99 at 2MB (£24.99 at 4MB and £34.99 at 8MB when available) with no cap (within reason). P2P and bandwidth hungry applications throttled at peak times.

PREMIER - £21.99 at 2MB (£29.99 at 4MB and £39.99 at 8MB when available) with no cap (within reason).

Hope this helps.
N/A

Connection problems

thank you