cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection problems

N/A

Connection problems

Hi,

My newly installed system uses a PlusNet supplied router at the end of a 20m long phone line into my office. The line ends in a splitter to the router and the only phone socket currently used in the house (it has three hands-free phones).

Connection has been lost on many days – it was OK all day yesterday but on the day before it was lost a number of times. I suspect that my line may be the cause of the problems. I propose to move the splitter/router to the BT master socket and run a 20m Ethernet cable to the computer.

I would appreciate comments, particularly on the following questions.

1. Is my existing phone line likely to be causing the problem?
2. Is my proposal likely to cure the problem – is there a better solution?
3. Would shielded Cat5e cable be significantly better than standard unshielded cable? The cable run would not be very close to household equipment such as the central heating system and thermostat. (The thermostat is only about one metre from the phone line).

Thanks for considering my problem.
4 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Connection problems

Hi,

Whenever you are running extension cables from the master socket you can run in to problems with the ADSL.
Trying the router directly into the master socket will certainly eliminate the extension from the equation. You will often find that the extension is the sole cause of the problem.
N/A

Connection problems

I ran a DSL-504 on a 15 meter extension from the master socket for 4 months with no single problem. so could be the actual extension itself.
Community Veteran

Connection problems

My newly installed system uses a PlusNet supplied router at the end of a 20m long phone line into my office. The line ends in a splitter to the router and the only phone socket currently used in the house (it has three hands-free phones).

These hands free phones must connect somewhere to the phone line.
Wherever that point is it still needs to be filtered from the ADSL part of the line.

If you havn't already done so please check out the tutorial on Wiring and Filters.
I suspect that your problems may be caused by an unfiltered part of the phone system.
N/A

Connection problems

I have read the tutorial and my system appears to conform. To clarify, a 20m long telephone extension cable is the only connection into the BT master socket. The other end terminates in a wall socket which has only a splitter plugged into it. The phone is plugged into the splitter as is the router. There are no other connections or outlets.

At the moment I suspect that interference is being picked up somewhere along this 20m cable. If this is so, is it prudent to use a screened Cat 5E cable if I plug the splitter into the master socket and run a new 20m Ethernet cable to the computerHuh (Is unscreened cable entirely appropriate?)

I am only aware of one disconnection today – the lights on the router are always the same as when I have a connection!

Regards