cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection problem

N/A

Connection problem

I have just set up an ADSL account at our new house, having had good service with our Plusnet connection at work, and I am having a problem getting connected.

Everything looks to be set up correctly - lights on the modem/router are lit/flashing appropriately, and pinging the modem works. (Trust 445A Speedlink modem/router). The only thing I haven't yet done is plug the splitters into the other phone sockets.

When I inserted the driver CD and worked through entering the settings manually, the installation froze after confirming the settings.

This is a new house and the line was activated by BT last week. The engineer only connected up the master socket, which is in the hall by the front door, and the builders connected up the remaining three sockets in the house, although only two have phones attached. The one that the computer is plugged into is one of the extension sockets upstairs.

Am I to assume that ADSL will not work, except on the master socket? I don't really want my computer by the front door! Is there any other way round this?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Diane.
11 REPLIES
N/A

Connection problem

If you are plugging your ADSL into an extension, then you need to ensure that

a) The connection to the extension from the master is not filtered.
b) All phones are filtered *regardless* of what socket they are plugged into.

As an aside, if your connection is still flakey after trying temporarily unplugging all the phones, then you may have other issues, too.
N/A

Connection problem

If you are plugging your ADSL into an extension, then you need to ensure that

a) The connection to the extension from the master is not filtered.
b) All phones are filtered *regardless* of what socket they are plugged into.

As an aside, if your connection is still flakey after trying temporarily unplugging all the phones, then you may have other issues, too.

Thanks for the quick response.

Can you please expand on the above points?
What do you mean by a)? Do you mean how they are connected together inside the walls? How can I check whether it's filtered or not?
By 'filtered' in b) do you mean with the splitter attached?

This is a three-storey house - the room where I want to plug the computer in is on the top floor. The other two phone sockets are in the lounge on the middle floor. So the computer will be two floors away from the master socket.

Cheers
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Connection problem

How are the extensions connected - does the wire to them go in to the front or hidden in the back of the master socket?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Connection problem

What do you mean by a)? Do you mean how they are connected together inside the walls? How can I check whether it's filtered or not?

I was mainly referring to the sort of DIY connections that some people have, where it works by them having a socket doubler of sorts plugged into the master socket. If your extension connection is hard wired then it should, in theory, be unfiltered, so you should be able to ignore part a)

By 'filtered' in b) do you mean with the splitter attached?

Yes, any connection which you are plugging a phone in needs to have a filter / spliter applied to it.
N/A

Connection problem

If you have a hardwired extension there is a good chance it would be unfiltered, but really any extension should be unfiltered. You only want a filter at the end, and any connections on the master socket after the extension.

Aaron
N/A

Connection problem

All four sockets were installed and wired into the walls by the builders. All they had to do was connect the wires behind the plates in the sockets in the other locations, once the BT engineer had wired up the master socket (as that's all that they can do). There are no sockets connected with an external extension kit.

I've just had a word with someone in Maplins and the opinion is that the modem is faulty.

On the modem ADSL set up page, the line status kept switching from Activating to Training, to something else. Occasionally I would get a Showtime setting, with upstream and downstream figures entered into the lines below, indicating that a connection was made. Then it would just switch back to Activating again and just keep cycling in this way.

There are no figures entered in the WAN configuration setup section.

The same configuration system that we use at work has Showtime showing all the time. I set this one up in no time at all, so I knew what I was doing, although it's a different modem - some no-name make from a computer fair that's worked perfectly from day one!
N/A

Connection problem

Well, I have absolutely no idea what was wrong, but here I am connected at home. Cheesy

I changed two of the splitters at Maplins today, as I didn't like the dangly ones, and got the block-type ones that have no tail. I kept the one I had been using yesterday.

I did a System Restore first of all and then unplugged all the phones in the house and just connected the modem with a new splitter. As soon as I launched IE up came my home page!

I then plugged the phone into the same splitter and tried another web page - success. Then plugged one of the other phones in with a splitter and browsed to another page - again success.

I plugged the final phone in using the splitter I was using for the modem connection yesterday and, joy of joys, I can surf the web once more.

All the phones are working fine, although the one connected on the same line as the modem is a bit crackly, but it is only a cheap-tack phone.

Happy bunny.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice.
N/A

Connection problem

Although the connection problem was solved, we are getting a hissing on the phone even though the filters are in place in all the sockets where there is a phone connected.

On another thread, I have read that someone else is having this problem and it was suggested by another poster that it's because the computer is on an extension socket. Could this be the case here? I did explain above that this is not an add-on extension wire, but a hard-wired extension installed by the house builder (a brand new house).

It really is not practical to have the computer in the main socket as that is by the front door in the entrance hall!!

Are the filters to blame and should I buy better quality ones? Or am I paddling against the tide because the computer is attached to an extension socket?

I do have a spare phone socket with no phone attached. Should I also put a filter on this socket?
Community Veteran

Connection problem

Unused sockets don't require a filter. Also running ADSL on extension sockets is not a problem.

Does the hissing go away when you unplug the ADSL modem?

I would suggest trying better filter/splitters as some don't work well. I recommend the Excelsus Z-420UK-A Dynamic ADSL Microfilter or the XF-1e Professional ADSL Microfilter
N/A

Connection problem

We did have a power cutout the other day, so the modem was obviously not powered up, although it was still connected to the phone line, and the phone was fine - no hissing (when the emergency electrician rang!).

I have two different makes of filter, bought from Maplins. One is the 'dongle' type and the other two are similar to the usual phone line splitter - a simple plastic block. They didn't cost a fortune, so I will try and get hold of the type you recommend.

Thanks for your help.
N/A

Connection problem

Well, late on Friday morning I ordered three of the XF-1e Professional Microfilter as recommended above. They arrived Saturday morning, bright and early (excellent service) and I fitted them straight away. Success!! No more hissing on any of the phones.

Many thanks for the recommendation.