cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection keeps dropping

flicker
Grafter

This had been happening virtually all the time since I had broadband, not a sudden problem, but it is now time to try and find out why. It hasn't really bothered me before as I don't download, only surfing and forums, and it immediately re-connects anyway, sometimes I don't even notice its gone untill I get the message box up telling me I am connected. However, I have just recently started viewing some wildlife webcams at night along with some friends, and when the connection drops, so does the webcam, and its a damn nuisance having to keep requesting them to be re-sent. :x

My set up is netgear card into my laptop, and Edimax wireless router modem. I have only one phone connected to the circuit through a splitter provided by Plus-net. I have tried plugging just the router in direct into the box without the splitter and it didn't make any difference.

Any ideas please? And please bear in mind I have little technical knowledge, so telling me to x y and z to my settings will be very daunting!
2 REPLIES
N/A

hi m8 had the same prob done bt speed test & pn speed test was getting bout
10kbps to 300kbps i got a network card n laptop & belkin wireless router all i done was move my router to another room (with phone socket) hay presto now getting speeds 1.8mbps
hope this helps
flicker
Grafter

Hi thanks for replying, but I have moved the router around before too. Its currently in a different room to my laptop, but only about 15ft away from where I am sitting, and doesnt have to even go through a wall or door if I have them open. It is also situated directly above the phone socket, about 4' above on a shelf. :?

Anyone else?

PS have no quibbles about the speed either, it has only been a bit slow now and then at peak times, but these are my last three results, no probs there -

Date Speed Achieved (kbps)
26-09-2005 14:49:50 1781.1
25-09-2005 15:57:22 1844.2
25-09-2005 08:49:34 1889.1