cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection keeps dropping..

N/A

throughout today, since last night... dont see any service status changes.. nothing on my end has changed..

everything ok? :p
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

All seems Ok here.
What equipment are you using?
N/A

a netgear dg814

(home dsl 512)
Community Veteran

Shouldn't be a problem with that.
I was just wondering if you were suffering from a USB problem but obviously not.

There doesn't seem to be a generic problem and my connection has been solid for a long time.
Do you know what line figures your netgear is reporting back?
N/A

no idea what that means Smiley
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi soulx,

Looking at your RADIUS logs your connection is disconnecting every 30 minutes, and I mean exactly 30 minutes every time. Could you have somethig set on the router to disconnect the connection every half hour?
Also, in between the half hours there are connections where it authenticates but that's all, the connection doesn't "start".
Community Veteran

Ok from what Dave is reporting it looks like you have somehow managed to get the "Idle timeout" setting on the router set to 30 minutes.
Go into the setup screen and make sure this is set to zero.

Also while you are in the setup you should find a page that will report your line conditions in the form of dBs loss up and down and SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) these figures can reveal a lot about your phone line conditions.
N/A

mm, i'm looking but can't see anything to suggest that..
haven't changed anything on the router at all for some time.. there is an 'idle timeout' value that is set to 30minutes, in the setup, but that has been like that for ages.. and i've been connected for days on end regularly.. i've set it to the maximum anyway to see if that affects anything, 255.
Community Veteran

If this is not set to zero it WILL disconnect you after the time stated.
Set it to zero and it has the effect of dissabling this timeout.
N/A

thanks for the help so far :p

cant find what you suggested john, but have come across a statistics bit that has -

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN Link Up 2176 2760 0 0 0 00:06:02
LAN 100M 4159 3150 0 0 0 00:06:04

(obviously a few minutes after a disconnect)

the idle timeout thing doesnt say that setting it to 0 results in no limit..should i change it to 0 anyway?

(tho i dont udnerstand.. since i'm not 'idle' when it disconnects, i'm not sure why it is disconnecting.. though i guess its more to do with netgear than anything else Smiley )
N/A

lol, posting at the same time.. ok, setting it to zero Smiley
Community Veteran

Ok see if that sorts it out.
I know it has for others in the past.
You should find the line condition info under eather the Maintenance or General tab.
Having to try and remember here as it's a long time since I set up that type of router. But thats where it is located on my D-link one and I have seen it on the Netgear somewhere.
N/A

Checked every single thing for that SNR thing, no sign of it..

Tho, on the plus side, it's not timed out yet, so here's hoping Smiley

thanks for the help so far guys, it's appreciated Cheesy
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Current connection showing as 0:18:41 (on going), I'll check it again in 15 minutes.
Community Veteran

Just downloaded the manual for your Netgear Router and as yet I can't find any information on it giving a line report Sad
I'm sure it's in there somwhere but Im off to bed now.
If I do find it I'll let you know where it is as it's a very usefull tool which lets you make a note of your line and then you can see if it's deteriorated at all in the future.