cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection dropping in bad weather

N/A

Hi everyone,

I have been having connection troubles in thunder storms recently. Does anybody know why this is happening?

Thanks
6 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

It's not uncommon.

The problem is that your connection to the exchange is made up of assorted bits of copper wire, of assorted ages, running by various paths, under/overground, with assorted connections, good and bad.

Some of these wires will be in various stages of degradation, some of the connections will be not well made, or liable to ingress of damp, mice, squirrels or ants.

In fact it's a miracle that anybody gets broadband at all.
Tongue
N/A

".... liable to ingress of damp, mice, squirrels or ants. "

What? No rats in Pontefract then? Wink

Seriously though, am I the only one who gets the distinct impression that ADSL is far more sensitive to thunder and lightning than ordinary dial-up? On dial-up, unless it was a particularly bad and close storm which made me decide to disconnect everything for safety, I used to carry on as normal, almost invariably with no problems. On broadband, the first hint of a storm in the distance and the connection drops.
Alecto
Grafter

Rats with cats like mine? No way. Tongue

But the ADSL signal uses far more frequencies than dial up, so there's more to be interfered with. That's why it really is much more sensitive to interference.
N/A

Aha! So not only is it true but there's even a rational explanation - thanks for that, Geoff. Smiley
N/A

First hint of a storm and my PC is off.
There is a slim, remote chance that you will get a lightning strike down your phone line, through your modem / router and into your PC.
Believe me when I say that everything in the path of that strike is gonna be toast.

I've seen the effects it can do, This guy phoned my mates shop up and said that he'd had a strike down his phone line, everything in the case was black and toasted, nice and crispy, even the guys optical mouse did'nt survive.

So as soon as there is a storm, I switch off, unplug from the wall (generally when the power comes on if the house power gets knocked out during a storm, there can be a power surge), And unplug my ADSL line from the phone socket.

Better to be safe than sorry, especially where thousands of pounds of PC equipment is at stake.
N/A

My connection is even more sensitive to the weather.

on hot sunny days, it'll run perfectly, but as soon as the air pressure starts to drop by as much as a few millibars, my modem looses sync every 4 minutes as regular as clockwork. Even if the weather appears to be fine, the dropping air pressure triggers the wobblies.

When air pressure bottoms out, the connection will become stable (ish). sometimes even staying synced for 1 hour at a time, woo hoo. but it goes to pot again as soon as the air pressure starts to climb.

to be honest, as winter is approaching and my connection starts to develop the properties of a yoyo, i'm considering asking for a downgrade back to 512kbs. Before the upgrade to 1 meg it was solid as a rock, and has only started to be rubbish since.

However, I might ask BT to provide me with a new line and make it a condition of acceptance that it runs at least 2 Meg BB.