cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection dropped after 30 seconds

N/A

I bought an eTec USB ADSL from PC World - it's not plug & play and I'm not sure if I've configured everything right. (I've configured the settings that PlusNet mentions, but there are a lot of other parameters.)

I can connect, but the connection drops very quickly (within 30s) and won't reconnect without rebooting the system.

I've tried plugging straight into the BT socket, but it made no difference.

I've tried exchanging the modem, but the second was behaves identically.

When I'm connected, the connection status when I double-click the tray icon is shown as 10.0Mbps! Is this just a default value as it can't get a connection?

I'm using Win XP Home.

Anyone got any ideas? I would especially appreciate some advice on configuring the modem.

cheers

Michael Johnson
7 REPLIES
Ianwild
Grafter

This sounds like the normal issue with USB Modems - They use more power than some motherboards can supply. For most people, this can be fixed if you purchase an externally powered USB Hub.

Regards,
N/A

Thanks for your answer Ian.

So USB modems are quite likely not to work? How do they get away selling them?

Anyway - is there a way I can verify this is the problem with my system, without buying an alternative (externally-powered) modem?

Where can I find a full list of the correct settings for my current modem?

cheers

Michael
Brickinit
Grafter

i think you might have missed ian's point. what he has said is that your power supplied by your motherboard for your USB port is not sufficiant to power your USB modem. if this is the case, buying a powered USB HUB ie.one that has it's own power supply from the mains, will probably see you around this problem. Hope this helps

malc
N/A

Michael, have you considered using a modem router instead of usb? It does not draw power from your mobo as it is powered. It gives you an instant firewall & the ability to connect more than one pc to the net at any time without having to network. also dead easy to set up. Don`t buy one that only has one rj45 ethernet connection it will not allow you to connect extra pc`s. Make sure that it has a rj11 telephone line connection. I assume your on domestic 50:1 & that BT have not installed a rj45 socket for 20:1 business connection? PC World didn`t have a 4 way modem router when I set up my broadband so I went to the local electronics store & got a 4way for the same price as a 1 connection from PCW. Also bought filters for £5 each instead of £10, so returned PCWs.
Hope this helps, Brian.
N/A

From today my pci modem connects then almost straight away disconnects,

ive had this problem before but ive forgot how i fixed it.

every 2 mins or less my connection drops, ive not made any adjustments.

please help.
N/A

Is your mail software set to disconnect after mail send receive? My be it is not your system. Does it drop the line on a standard dialup modem as well as the adsl? If not sounds like you need to talk with tech support. I had a problem when I first connected & tech had telecom sort it out. Good luck Brian
N/A

I've replaced the USB-powered modem with an externally powered router and, wait for it...

It works!

The connection's been up now for over 50 mins.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my earlier postings.

Michael