cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection dropout - frequently - Tearing my hair out!

N/A

I signed up to Plusnet last week, I use a Netgear DG834G wireless router, but the connection seems very unstable and is prone to dropping every few minutes, any ideas? Sad

BTW this did not happen when I was with Wanadoo?

Cheers
14 REPLIES
N/A

Hi,

Welcome to the forums.

When your connection drops do you lose synch with the exchange. I.E does the ADSL link light on the router start to flash?

Are you on a 2mb account and if so have you recently been upgraded to that speed?

For further information and possible diagnostics see here

post back if you need anything.
N/A

Hi

thanks for the prompt reply.

When your connection drops do you lose synch with the exchange. I.E does the ADSL link light on the router start to flash? NO

Are you on a 2mb account and if so have you recently been upgraded to that speed? Yes to both!

I will check the diagnostic tools

Many thanks
N/A

Hi,

If you could post the connection stats from your router which should be found here bottom left of page.

The line stats might give us an indication if your line is close to the 2mb limits.

Also ensure that you are using the latest firmware for your router, details here
craigbrass
Grafter

Well I had this problem when I first upgraded to 2mb. I never got around to contacting PlusNet about it and it panned itself out after a month or so and now I maybe get one disconnect a week which has always been through the night.
N/A

Hi,

If you could post the connection stats from your router which should be found here bottom left of page.

The line stats might give us an indication if your line is close to the 2mb limits.

Also ensure that you are using the latest firmware for your router, details here

Ok, I have upgraded the firmware, but your link to the connection stats does not seem to work?

Seems to be working better already, I was on for nearly two hours last night with no dropout Cheesy
craigbrass
Grafter

Ok, I have upgraded the firmware, but your link to the connection stats does not seem to work?

Thats cos its http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?next_file=start.htm and not http://10.0.0.1/setup.cgi?next_file=start.htm for the DG834G. That is unless you have changed the IP address of your router.
N/A

Doh! Who is feeling pretty daft then. Shockedops:

Forgot I had changed it from the default. Hopefully the firmware upgrade will sort the problem and apologies for any confusion.
craigbrass
Grafter

I know a few ppl who change it to 10. for some odd reason, they can never give me an answer when I say whats up with 192. lol.
N/A

Hi,

Mark

Exactly what connection stats do you require from the router?

Cheers
Adrian
Community Veteran

I belive Mark will want the downstream attenuation and SNR.
N/A

These?

Modem Status Connected
DownStream Connection Speed 2272 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 288 kbps
VPI 0
VCI 38
N/A

Hi there,

At the bottom of the router status page you will see a button which says "Show Statistics" Click that and you will see stats similar to this

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2272 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 16 db 2.5 db
Noise Margin 31 db 29 db

Paste those results here.

Flash. The only reason i have that IP range is for internal and external network purposes. There is nowt wrong with 192.........
N/A

Seems like i am a lucky guy. I upgraded to 2mb and bamm works ok. Try updating the firm ware in the router too. I have that router and some times i think you need to update
N/A

Ok, found them:

System Up Time 00:06:42
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 985 1075 0 840 2430 00:06:08
LAN 100M/Full 135 0 0 88 0 00:06:38
WLAN 11M/54M 1438 1297 0 2751 879 00:06:31

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2272 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 23 db 5 db
Noise Margin 23 db 28 db