cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection between SAR 110 Router to Hub. Crossover?

N/A

Should I use a straight through ehternet cable or do I Need to get a crossover cable?

I am correct in thinking that connecting a straightthrough calbe to the uplink port on the hub has the same effect as connecting a straight through calbe to a normal port?
3 REPLIES
N/A

Yes to your last question, so you have answered your first yourself!! :lol:
If in doubt keep an eye on the LED's on the switch/ hub that will monitor the state of the connection (Cable connected, data movement etc)
N/A

i'm thinking this may be what's preventing my adsl from being routed through my router. please explain the difference between a straight through and crossover cable. i am trying to connect my ethernet modem to my router's WAN port. thx
N/A

You can tell the differance by placing the two connector jacks side my side.

EG.

Cable towards you body, pins facing up and away from you, with both connectors.

A straight through cable, will match, colour for colours as you look from pin 1 to 8 (left to right).

A cross-over cable doesn't match.

With a networkcard and hub model, you connect the two sending wires and the PC, to the 2 receiving wires in the hub.

If you do this PC to PC, then with a straight through wire, you end up with sending wires to sending wires.

This is what a cross-over is for. To compensate when linking two devices directly, and not through a hub/switch.

Here is how to tell if they are wired correctly, for both cross-over and straight.

Straight.
Using the guide above to holding the jacks the following should be true. Read the plugs from left to right (pin 1 to Cool

The colours should follow this pattern.

Left Pin1 = Right Pin 1
Left Pin2 = Right Pin 2
Left Pin3 = Right Pin 3
Left Pin4 = Right Pin 4
Left Pin5 = Right Pin 5
Left Pin6 = Right Pin 6
Left Pin7 = Right Pin 7
Left Pin8 = Right Pin 8

Cross-over

Do the same above, and the colours should follow this pattern.

Left Pin1 = Right Pin 3
Left Pin2 = Right Pin 6
Left Pin3 = Right Pin 1
Left Pin4 = Right Pin 4
Left Pin5 = Right Pin 5
Left Pin6 = Right Pin 2
Left Pin7 = Right Pin 7
Left Pin8 = Right Pin 8

If any other pattern is matched, then you have a faulty cable.