cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Sharing

N/A

Connection Sharing

Is it possible to use two adsl modems and connect through one telephone line or do i have to network the two computers and share the one modem?
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Connection Sharing

A typical setup is one PC hooked to the ADSL router and the other PC's networked to the single PC connected to the router.

The PC connected to the router handles the Internet Connection Sharing.

This is how my home network is hooked up, only drawback to this method is that the router PC has to be on all the time for the others to access.

Another setup becoming more prevalent is to buy a wireless based ADSL Router and have all the PC's access it directly using WLAN this is fairly expensive but its an option im looking at in the future as soon as i can justify cost to my wife Smiley

Ali
BoneMan
Grafter

> A typical setup is one PC hooked to the ADSL router and the other PC's networked to the single PC connected to the router.
>
> The PC connected to the router handles the Internet Connection Sharing.
>
> This is how my home network is hooked up, only drawback to this method is that the router PC has to be on all the time for the others to access.
>
> Another setup becoming more prevalent is to buy a wireless based ADSL Router and have all the PC's access it directly using WLAN this is fairly expensive but its an option im looking at in the future as soon as i can justify cost to my wife Smiley
>
> Ali

Alternatively get an ADSL router with more than one LAN connection (e.g. AMX-C64E or similar) and plug all your PCs into that. Avoids having to use ICS and leave the PC that it's running on powered up all the time. (Well that's the basic idea. In practice, it's a bit more complicated than that Smiley.) In essence it's the same as Ali's wireless idea but a lot easier, quicker and cheaper IMHO - unless you have a v. large house and don't want to string network cables around the place. Places to look for help, guidance and how-to-do available on request Smiley.

Regards,

BoneMan
N/A

Yep Bonemans suggestion works just as well and is very inexpensive but i do hate wires Smiley

Im looking to hook up a WLAN Access Point to my router and hopefully get rid of the need to have a PC powered up all the time but im not sure how WLAN AP actually works (See my new topic Networking, will this work?) im assuming its just a fancy network hub?

Got any info on this idea Boneman?

All help appreciated

Thanks Ali
fallingwaters
Grafter

Hi all

I am just upgrading from an ISDN business account to a business ADSL acct from Plusnet.

I will be using a Vigor 2600W modem/ethernet router with built in Wireless access point. with this I can connect up to four PC's via the Vigor inbuilt Ethernet hub and more laptops via the wireless lan.

The Vigor is expensive at about £270+vat but it also includes backup ISDN dialup for when the ADSL goes down. I have a fallback ISP on ISDN as an alternative to provide backup.

Best of luck

Bill

N/A

Nope this is mistaken. Its right if the "router" is in fact a "modem" :-) Otherwise you just put the router on the lan and put all you pc hosts on the lan. Its better if the router has built in firewall!

N/A

> Nope this is mistaken. Its right if the "router" is in fact a "modem" :-) Otherwise you just put the router on the lan and put all you pc hosts on the lan. Its better if the router has built in firewall!
>
>

Save youre self cost and just network the 2 computers with a twisted cable and share the connection I run three through a very cheap netgear hub but if you are only connecting 2 all you need is 2 lan cards and a twisted lan cable.

J