cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Refused

GavinWoods
Dabbler

Connection Refused

I wonder if anyone can help me. Some sites i have been trying to visit recently come back as 'connection refused'. One of them being the Sun website, whenever it try to click on any of the links to download the latest version of Java. Also another i have noticed is www.onlineconversion.com. Strangely, if it try the same website from another WinXP pc connected to the same router (Vigor2600) it returns the error of 'the document contains no data'. But, if i try the same site on my Win2k Laptop through a VPN to my office, this site works just fine. Does anyone have any ideas or should i just raise a ticket?
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Connection Refused

Reboot the router and any PC that does not work to clear out any stale/wrong cache entries. Also try clearing your browser cache.
GavinWoods
Dabbler

Connection Refused

Hiya,
First thing i did was reset the router and reboot the pc. Tried clearing the cahe out too. just to give a little more info... I mainly use Firefox as my browser, this is what has been giving me a connection refused message. Even after clearing the cache it gives the same error. On IE though i have had a little more luck. After clearing the cache i was getting 'page cannot be displayed' but after several presses for F5 i got the page, then a few presses more and i was back to 'page cannot be displayed'
Any more ideas or do you still think its a caching issue somehow. Oh and i have now set the cache in Firefox to 1k so it shouldnt be caching anything
Community Veteran

Connection Refused

Next try disabling any firewalls in case they may be causing this.

Also try manually setting the DNS servers in the router to 212.159.6.10 & 6.9 and reboot router and PC (router first) and see if that helps.

Failing that I have no idea.
GavinWoods
Dabbler

Connection Refused

Peter, thanks for your advice. It seems that the DNS settings picked up over DHCP were wrong. After a ipconfig /renew thigs seem to be improved. Not fixed 100% mind but it is a huge improvement.

Cheers