cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Problems

N/A

Connection Problems

Hi All,

I have just moved to this ISP from Pipex. My setup is D-Link 604+ router and PC with Windows XP SP2. When connected to Pipex I had no problems whatsoever... setup my connection on the router, the router would maintain the connection and i would plug in my PC, router would give my PC a DHCP address (192.168.0.2), when i ran IE, proxy settings were detected automatically and i was connected to the internet - no problems - never had to call the Pipex tect team once!. Like i said, i have just moved to PlusNet but i am having problems with the connection. I can configure the router with my account details and i can make a connection to plusnet, however, when i try to connect to the Internet from my PC, the IE proxy settings are not detected and i get an error saying that the web page can not be displayed. If i try to PING anything from my PC such as www.google.co.uk i get time out. If i try to PING the default gateway (gateway provided by PlusNet) i get timeout. However, if i PING from the router, i do get a reply (both gateway and web pages). Therefore, i seam to have a problem between by PC and the router. PlusNet have told me there is nothing they can do for me because i an active connection and they are only responsible for the connection (which is fair I suppose, however, it would of been nice if they could offer some adviceHuh). Anyway, things i have tried so far...

- Factory reset on the router
- Disable XP firewall
- Disable AV, steam and anything that connects to the internet
- Right-Click/Repair on the NIC in Network connections
- Removed NIC from device manager and then reboot - reinstall

none of this has helped, anyone have any ideas?

is this something to do with the ROUTE settings on the PC? Does anyone know the Proxy settings for IE so i can manually set them? Why am i having all these problems with PlusNet where Pipex was essentially Plug-and-Play?

regards
8 REPLIES
N/A

Connection Problems

Hi there,

You should not need a proxy server for IE with Plus Net.

Ensure IE connections are set to never dial a connection and make sure that any proxy settings are removed.
N/A

Connection Problems

i have removed the check box from automatically detect proxy settings and I am still getting the same problems i.e. con not connect to the internet!

Regards
N/A

Connection Problems

Hi there,

From a command prompt can you run ipconfig /all and paste the results here.

Can you also check control panel - network connections - right click your LAN and select properties. Double click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). In the window that appears ensure that Obtain IP address automatically is checked and the same for DNS server (below that)

Let me know how that goes.
N/A

Connection Problems

Incredible! I have exactly the same problem and have opened a ticket with PlusNet. Here's a message I was going to post separately in this forum:

"I have two telephone lines at home, both ADSL-activated. One is used to access Tiscali's broadband service, the other is for PlusNet (I took a PlusNet contract with a view to cancel Tiscali asap).

I use a DSL-604+ D-Link wireless ADSL router, which is configured to access both ISP networks, and both ADSL links deliver the expected bandwidths.

Now for the problem: If connected to the PlusNet line, about 70% of my favorite web sites aren't accessible (the browser doesn't find them). Whereas on the Tiscali link, no problem of this sort can be seen.

The ISP's technical guys don't see a problem at their end.

Because everything works fine with Tiscali, I have ruled out security settings / firewall configuration issues on my PC. But is this a correct assumption? (I did reset and reconfigured the router this morning to no avail).

Because the physical links are fine either way, I believe the problem to be Windows (or other software) related, but have no idea where to look.

Has anyone faced similar issues before?"

Note that there's no apparent problem with the IP configuration, my router gets its IP address, the DNS servers are found, etc... Automatic detection of settings is selected both within Windows XP and on the router.

Any magical tips?
N/A

Connection Problems

Further question: could my problem be linked to the setup of my wireless network (I have three PC's on the wi-fi LAN)? I have set a static IP address to my main PC rather than have it reset every time by the router - this to help port redirection. The other PC's get their IP addresses from the router dynamically.

I have also spotted in the technical help section some tips to set up a DSL-504. Will look at this to spot any configuration issues and post back any relevant findings.
N/A

Connection Problems

I've resolved my problem. Simple really when I look at it: my Ethernet connection between the PC and the router was manually set with a static IP address and static DNS server addresses.

As I moved from Tiscali to PlusNet, I failed to reset these parameters, so the Ethernet connection was still looking for Tiscali's servers on a PlusNet broadband connection.

Don't know how I missed this as the solution was contained in one of the previous threads... Doh!
N/A

Connection Problems

Glad your sorted.

With so many variables its easy to miss somthing.
N/A

Connection Problems

Sorted my problem too...

After a factory reset of the router, i have an example of a PVC already configured (with generic information in it) on the router. I had been deleting the example PVC and then creating my own new one. In this scenario, i was having the problems stated. After trying everything, i started clutching at straws... I perfromed another factory reset on the router, however, this time i updated the example PVC with my account details. This has sorted the problem. Anyone have an idea why this occured? Do i have a faulty router?

Regards