cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Problems

N/A

Connection Problems

Hi there, hopefully somebody can help me with the problems I'm having. I'm only semi computer savvy so I thought I would call on the collective knowledge of the internet.

I just recieved my green light to go ahead with ADSL on plusnet (eventually) so I purchased a Zoom 5210? USB modem and set it up as instructed. The modem connected first time but I lost the connection after a few minutes and it wouldn't reconnect.

The modem will only reconnect if I shut down the computer and then restart. Incidentally after the modem fails the computer won't shut down completely, it hangs on the bluish "Windows is shutting down screen"

Sometimes the 'two green computers' icon on the bottom right of the screen disappears, sometimes it doesn't when I lose connection. The two green arrows stay all the time.

My system is:
1 GHz Athlon
320 MB ram
Abit KT7(?) motherboard
Zoom 5210 usb modem
Windows 98 SE

What I have tried:

One of the phone splitters I got with the modem wasn't working, so I took the opportunity to exchange the whole pack and try a new modem - no effect.

I've tried changing all the cables etc for one I know work with other devices - no effect

As suggested in another post, I tried re-installing my USB drivers - no effect

Tried re-installing the modem software - no effect

Tried using different USB ports on the PC - no effect

Eventually I went the whole hog and re-formatted my drive and re-installed windows (it needed doing anyway). All I have installed now is my video driver and the USB modem. The modem still cuts out and refuses to re-start. However, before the format both lights on the modem would go out when it failed - now they both stay on. Is this significant?

I am at this stage now and running out of ideas.

I have read that a powered USB hub (or USB card) may help out. But I have run a scanner in the past just powered by the USB and that has worked fine. Obviously I want to persue this option last as it involves more cash.

I have also read that some people use a fujitsu (310 USB modem) driver for the zoom and this works better. However I cannot find this driver on the fujitsu site.

Could it be that my line is faulty? My area is new to ADSL so the engineers may be having difficulty adjusting to the new equipment. Maybe my account at plusnet isn't quite configured right, I had a few hiccups getting connected. Another post on the forum mentioned ways of testing the line, how do I do this?

The instructions for my modem specifically state NOT to use a line splitter on the socket which I plug the modem into. However just about every setup guide I've seen tells me to do so.

Sorry for being so long winded, but I thought it was better to be detailed with my description.

Thanks for any replies

Andy P
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Connection Problems

If it's any help I would say it has something to do with Microsoft Software or the driver based on the fact that the machine won't shutdown properly as opposed to a line problem. (I'm a Microsoft Systems Engineer for about 5 years so I'm not just knocking Microsoft for the sake of it). You seem to have some idea of what you are doing - rebuilding a machine is not for faint hearted - so please excuse me if I use techie links without explanation.

I don't think the USB hub will make any difference, but as a suggestion does the PC still hang if you disconnect the USB modem first? I somehow think the PC will still hang.

Here is a link to the fujitsu driver:
http://www.dslsource.co.uk/downloads.asp#fdx310

And if you were to consider another modem I've had no problems with the Alcatel speedtouch on W2K or XP - if that helps at all.

The question about about line quality - ring BT, or go onto their web site and say the line is faulty, and they do what ever they do, which could include the line sweeping.

As a techie aside...

There was an article on Internet Connection Sharing in the knowledge base, but I'm guessing that as you didn't say you were using it you aren't so the article may not apply. If it does let me know and I'll send the reference.

There were a couple of other references, and assuming that since you can log this on the forum you can connect to the internet, have a look at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q300481
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q283043
but to be honest I don't think they are much use.

I've also had a look at Microsoft updates to Win98SE, and there doesn't seem to be anything there either, particularly with respect to DUN.
N/A

Thanks for the help above, here is an update on my struggles.

The system does sometimes hang if i disconnect the modem from the PC

I downloaded and installed the fujitsu drivers, they work exactly as the zoom ones but the problem keeps on happening.

The support questionnaire asks if I've tried to log on to bt_test@startup_domain or bt_test_user@plus.net From a fresh start up the modem connects to both of these locations, but after that I can't perform any actions (visiting web pages etc) so I can't tell if the connection is still there - by watching the connection download total.

When the crash happens, I can tell it's crashed (even if the lights on the modem stay on) because no further information is downloaded. However information is still being uploaded from my PC (or at least it tells me it is).

I tried plugging the modem into a different phone socket in the flat, but still found the same problems. I also tried both sockets with and without the filter.

Now I'm fresh out of ideas and have no idea what to try. Does everybody have this much trouble installing ADSL? I've been trying for 3 days and still nothing.

Thanks,

Andy P
N/A

If the modem works for a few minutes then dies it could be down to power consumption not being handled well by the motherboard. Have you tried a powered hub?

Kevin

--
--
| Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| PlusNet Customer Support .......... for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

> Hi there, hopefully somebody can help me with the problems I'm having. I'm only semi computer savvy so I thought I would call on the collective knowledge of the internet.
>
> I just recieved my green light to go ahead with ADSL on plusnet (eventually) so I purchased a Zoom 5210? USB modem and set it up as instructed. The modem connected first time but I lost the connection after a few minutes and it wouldn't reconnect.
>
> The modem will only reconnect if I shut down the computer and then restart. Incidentally after the modem fails the computer won't shut down completely, it hangs on the bluish "Windows is shutting down screen"
>
> Sometimes the 'two green computers' icon on the bottom right of the screen disappears, sometimes it doesn't when I lose connection. The two green arrows stay all the time.
>
> My system is:
> 1 GHz Athlon
> 320 MB ram
> Abit KT7(?) motherboard
> Zoom 5210 usb modem
> Windows 98 SE
>
> What I have tried:
>
> One of the phone splitters I got with the modem wasn't working, so I took the opportunity to exchange the whole pack and try a new modem - no effect.
>
> I've tried changing all the cables etc for one I know work with other devices - no effect
>
> As suggested in another post, I tried re-installing my USB drivers - no effect
>
> Tried re-installing the modem software - no effect
>
> Tried using different USB ports on the PC - no effect
>
> Eventually I went the whole hog and re-formatted my drive and re-installed windows (it needed doing anyway). All I have installed now is my video driver and the USB modem. The modem still cuts out and refuses to re-start. However, before the format both lights on the modem would go out when it failed - now they both stay on. Is this significant?
>
> I am at this stage now and running out of ideas.
>
> I have read that a powered USB hub (or USB card) may help out. But I have run a scanner in the past just powered by the USB and that has worked fine. Obviously I want to persue this option last as it involves more cash.
>
> I have also read that some people use a fujitsu (310 USB modem) driver for the zoom and this works better. However I cannot find this driver on the fujitsu site.
>
> Could it be that my line is faulty? My area is new to ADSL so the engineers may be having difficulty adjusting to the new equipment. Maybe my account at plusnet isn't quite configured right, I had a few hiccups getting connected. Another post on the forum mentioned ways of testing the line, how do I do this?
>
> The instructions for my modem specifically state NOT to use a line splitter on the socket which I plug the modem into. However just about every setup guide I've seen tells me to do so.
>
> Sorry for being so long winded, but I thought it was better to be detailed with my description.
>
> Thanks for any replies
>
> Andy P

If your motherboard is an ABIT KT7 I'm not surprised you've got connection problems. It is a well known fault that the VIA KT133 chipset which is fitted to this board has always had problems with USB devices.

Some people find fitting a separate USB card to your computer solves the problem, but not everybody. Most seem to get rid of their USB modems and buy a router/modem and network card instead.

For further information go to www.adslguide.org.uk there are plenty of very helpful people in the forum area and lots of FAQ's for you to read.

Hope this is of use,

Casey
N/A

Thanks to all those that have given me help in the last few days.

I've got the connection running now, although I'm not sure how I managed it. I believe the problem was with my motherboard (indeed it is an ABit KT7) but I found an online guide and changed some settings in my BIOS to sort it out.

Hopefully if anybody else with the same motherboard is having problems they'll see this post and save themselves all the hassle I went through.

Andy P
N/A

UM I have the exact same problem but different motherboard, any suggestions? Heres a system description:
Operating System
Windows 98 SE
1533 megahertz AMD Athlon XP
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. 7ZXE 1.x
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 62710 12/24/2001
Fujitsu USB ADSL WAN Modem
Alcatel Speed Touch microfilter

It is now working FINE, but i can guarantee that by tomorrow morning it will be at it again Sad