cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Problems to router

N/A

Connection Problems to router

I have one 4 port router. Just to simplify things theres MY computer and my friends computer chris both win xp machines. Chris's comp connected first time and the local area connection symbol came up in the courner. I plugged my computer directly to the router and was told i was disconected from the network (no connection to anything). We had the idea of using our hub, so i plugged into the hub and we hooked up hub up to the router. This worked fine i can connect to the net and everything sept imm only on the network at 10mbit no real worry. But we did pay a fair bit for the router and was hoping that it would do all this. Its also taking up more power plug sockets than we have. So just to test it out my friend hooked up his other older win 98 machine right into the router this connected fine.
Is this any clearer?
Any ideas?
seb
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Connection Problems to router

Both pcs must have a ip and subnet in the same range normaly the router is in the same range and subnet. So pc1 would be 10.0.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 pc2 would be 10.0.0.3 subnet 255.255.255.0 the router would be set to 10.0.0.2 subnet 255.255.255.0. All pc would have the default gateway set to the router ie 10.0.0.2.

As long as the range is the same and the subnets it should all work. Some routers may have a plug marked uplink which may need a cross over cable.

Some routers have a little switch to crossover this is if you wer stacking routers.

You should have both pc connected with a straight cable, the problem is there is not any diffrence to look at in the cables. if only one pc works swap the cables and see if the other starts working and the working one stops.

The only other thing is the settings on the network card in XP are wrong check the settings for the working one and duplicate it. I refer to things like duplex speed 10 meg/100meg. It depends on the card what setting are available.

On XP you have to also apply the QOS fix or you will losse 20% of your bandwith.

Increase BROADBAND:

this ones simple:
this is for broad band connections. I didn’t try it on dial up but might work for dial up.
1.make sure your logged on as actually "Administrator". do not log on with any account that just has administrator privileges.
2. start - run - type gpedit.msc
3. expand the "local computer policy" branch
4. expand the "administrative templates" branch
5. expand the "network branch"
6. Highlight the "QoS Packet Scheduler" in left window
7. in right window double click the "limit reservable bandwidth" setting
8. on setting tab check the "enabled" item
9. where it says "Bandwidth limit %" change it to read 0
reboot if you want to but not necessary on some systems your all done. Effect is immediate on some systems. some need re-boot. I have one machine that needs to reboot first, the others didn't. Don't know why this is.

This is more of a "counter what XP does" thing. In other words, XP seems to want to reserve 20% of the bandwidth for its self. Even with QoS disabled, even when this item is disabled. So why not use it to your advantage. To demonstrate the problem with this on stand alone machines start up a big download from a server with an FTP client. Try to find a server that doesn't max out your bandwidth. In this case you want a slow to medium speed server to demonstrate this. Let it run for a couple of minutes to get stable. The start up another download from the same server with another instance of your FTP client. You will notice that the available bandwidth is now being fought over and one of the clients download will be very slow or both will slow down when they should both be using the available bandwidth. Using this "tweak" both clients will have a fair share of the bandwidth and will not fight over the bandwidth.

> I have one 4 port router. Just to simplify things theres MY computer and my friends computer chris both win xp machines. Chris's comp connected first time and the local area connection symbol came up in the courner. I plugged my computer directly to the router and was told i was disconected from the network (no connection to anything). We had the idea of using our hub, so i plugged into the hub and we hooked up hub up to the router. This worked fine i can connect to the net and everything sept imm only on the network at 10mbit no real worry. But we did pay a fair bit for the router and was hoping that it would do all this. Its also taking up more power plug sockets than we have. So just to test it out my friend hooked up his other older win 98 machine right into the router this connected fine.
> Is this any clearer?
> Any ideas?
> seb

N/A

RE: Connection Problems to router

> Both pcs must have a ip and subnet in the same range normaly the router is in the same range and subnet. So pc1 would be 10.0.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 pc2 would be 10.0.0.3 subnet 255.255.255.0 the router would be set to 10.0.0.2 subnet 255.255.255.0. All pc would have the default gateway set to the router ie 10.0.0.2.
>
> As long as the range is the same and the subnets it should all work. Some routers may have a plug marked uplink which may need a cross over cable.
>
> Some routers have a little switch to crossover this is if you wer stacking routers.
>
> You should have both pc connected with a straight cable, the problem is there is not any diffrence to look at in the cables. if only one pc works swap the cables and see if the other starts working and the working one stops.
>
> The only other thing is the settings on the network card in XP are wrong check the settings for the working one and duplicate it. I refer to things like duplex speed 10 meg/100meg. It depends on the card what setting are available.

Hey
Cheers for the tip iv just done the QOS settings you said.
The IP is auto and the subnets are set by the router automatically. Its not the wireing because we had the network going fine through a hub. The problem seems to be at my computer as we tested the router with another computer using windows 98, my friends xp machine and the 98 machine ran fine together also im using the same wiring now to connect to the Hub. Set up is as follows:

My comp -> Hub (straight cable) -> Router (via cross over)

Friends comp - > Router (straight cable)

98 machine -> Router (straight cable)

If i plug my comp into the router i get no network connection. All machines use different network cards and my machine has been connected to the internet before, where as the other two havnt until now. Ill give some settings a fiddle now and see what happens
Cheers again,
Seb