cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Problems to router

N/A

Connection Problems to router

Just bought a router and have 3 computers on the network. 2 computers connect to the router and both can access the internet. my computer doesnt connect and says the its not connected to the network. But if i connect to the router through a hub everything works fine sept we get a load of wires and a possible slower connection?
any ideas?
Seb
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Connection Problems to router

> Just bought a router and have 3 computers on the network. 2 computers connect to the router and both can access the internet. my computer doesnt connect and says the its not connected to the network. But if i connect to the router through a hub everything works fine sept we get a load of wires and a possible slower connection?
> any ideas?
> Seb
>

How many ports has your router got? and how are the other two computers connected to the router and how are you trying to connect the third computer to this router?

N/A

You dont give enough info. Is it a 4 port router?
If its a one port router then normaly you would have a hub. It wont slow anything down you can sitll get 512 /no of pc.

If its a 4 port router and one isnt working its somthing like the defaut gateway not set on the faulty one or its got a wrong subnet/ip address.The other possablity is you have a crossover cable by mistake or your in a uplink port

Can the faulty one see any other pc and can they see it? Can you ping the pc and other pc's?

It worth saying to everyone that when you have a problem give as much info as possable as it help people to give you the answer and is quicker for you.

> Just bought a router and have 3 computers on the network. 2 computers connect to the router and both can access the internet. my computer doesnt connect and says the its not connected to the network. But if i connect to the router through a hub everything works fine sept we get a load of wires and a possible slower connection?
> any ideas?
> Seb
>

N/A

Sorry it just seems pretty obvious that the router is more than one port when i have 3 computers in the router Smiley
Anyway
Yes one 4 port router. Just to simplify things theres MY computer and my friends computer chris both win xp machines. Chris's comp connected first time and the local area connection symbol came up in the courner. I plugged my computer directly to the router and was told i was disconected from the network (no connection to anything). We had the idea of using our hub, so i plugged into the hub and we hooked up hub up to the router. This worked fine i can connect to the net and everything sept imm only on the network at 10mbit no real worry. But we did pay a fair bit for the router and was hoping that it would do all this. Its also taking up more power plug sockets than we have. So just to test it out my friend hooked up his other older win 98 machine right into the router this connected fine.
Is this any clearer?
Any ideas?
seb

N/A

bump sorry
>

N/A

> bump sorry
> >
>