cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Problem after a week away

N/A

Just back from a holiday and found my connection is not nthere anymore ! I got the followings when I tried to connect:
Connection Time: 00:00:00
Connection to Server: Failed
Negotiation: LCP down
Authentication: CHAP authentication failed
Getting IP address :- - -

Does this make sense to anyone? What is LCP ?
My username and password are all correct and have changed nothing from my original config. Never had any problems before !
Thanks alot.
Hudai
2 REPLIES
N/A

Hey, I'm just learning about this stuff ... Wink

LCP = Link Control Protocol which is used to establish a connection between your router and PN's servers.

I have also seen this message in my router status from time to time lately but I'm not sure what would cause it.

Cheers,
Gavin
N/A

LCP down

metsims

I've also been seeing this problem from time to time. I found that setting my Netgear router to connect using PPPoE instead of PPPoA resulted in restored service and no further failures. I have ansolutely no idea why this would be as the connection should definitely be PPPoA ! On one occasion when my connection failed I set the router to autodiscover the connection type and it came back as PPPoE instead of PPPoA. Strange but true.

I do get slightly slower speeds using PPPoE (about 10% slower) but it seems to be more stable. May be worth a try if you're still getting disconnects?

In case you're interested, my router is a Netgear DG834PN (previously had a DG834GT which did exactly the same).